PDA

View Full Version : Help with wiper linkage replacment

mjfeeney4
12-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Replacing a drive rod which fell off (rust, age) with a new BMW part. Problem is exactly as described in the previous post, except I cannot seem to reinstall the replacement over the rounded linkage. The replacement will not press on, by rocking as the previous post suggests.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=60573#post60573

Was able to attach the side closest to the fender using a "C" clamp but not I'm afraid that it may have deformed the metal/rubber cap because the mechanism is stiffer than the original.

Space is very tight near the wiper motor. Any suggestions.

632 Regal
12-26-2005, 08:40 PM
is it the correct part? I kinda follow what your trying to explain but pictures would definetly get more responces. What do you mean by "rounded" as in worn or uncompatable? In the picture you posted in the other thread which is the link your having the probs with?

Pics would help bro.

mjfeeney4
01-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Contacted David by e-mail and his advice is as follows below. Will try the approach he suggests. For reference found this photo on the E32 wbsite. It shows the linkage and the "round" splined shaft (which is rusted in the photo) on the botton right. I have tried installing the replacement linkage without reomving the entire assembly (as was done in the photo) but space is limited. It may be necessary to remove the wiper assembly in order to grab the linkage and rock it as suggested in David's reply.

Hi there
My inclination is to advise you to persevere with the
rocking motion but to use a silicon or similar
lubricant, perhaps. I too tried to use a G Clamp at
first, with similar results to you!! I then asked a
BMW mechanic who told me about the rocking system and
it definitely does work. As you probably appreciate (
but which at first I didnt, the sockets are made of
polythene (at first I thought they were some sort of
soft or springy metal due to the grey colour) BMW do
put a smear of grease on them, but I think going
overboard with the lube is the way (and maybe only