PDA

View Full Version : re-routing fuel lines?

cschollum
12-26-2005, 09:10 AM
After replacing the fuel lines quite a few times on this e34, they are quite vulnerable under the car and here in uk they rust rather quickly.
I know on a citroen we have the fuel lines run inside the car, any thoughts on issues I may have if I run them through the conduit under the carpet on the E34 using high pressure hose

chris

bahnstormer
12-26-2005, 12:14 PM
first time i've ever heard of the lines rusting
u parking in an ocean or something ? ;)

Kalevera
12-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Use the OEM part and seal them with an appropriate underbody coating/rust inhibitor (por 15?)

They should last at least 8 years in extreme conditions. How many times have you replaced the brake lines?

best, whit

632 Regal
12-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Safety...that seems a bit crazy to me.

winfred
12-26-2005, 07:19 PM
id get a bender and make them up from something less reactive, or get some factory lines and encase them in heater hose or something

Kalevera
12-26-2005, 07:40 PM
bear in mind ive had the car 15 years, was built in 1989, i ve replaced the whole length previously and in the past few years just sections of it.

was darn hard work replacing the whole length last time, i think one guy in a post a few days ago had a similar issue - so would be so much easier running it through the car with flexible pipe under the carpet in the wiring conduit, as i say like on a citroen ax i have, which runs it inside as standard

regards you not hearing of a fuel pipe rusting, they do in the uk, especially where they can get damaged on the underside of the car

I was just wondering if there are any reasons i shouldnt route them through the car?
A 1994 518i that you've owned since 1989/15 years? What kind of car are we talking about here?! :)

genphreak
12-27-2005, 05:07 AM
Silly putting all that salt on the road huh. Why not go for stainless steel? I know you can use braided hose (easy to run but less strong than a solid tube. It can't be that hard, it took me an hour to do a braided line on a turbo Mazda (the original line needed to be made larger)
. It may not be as safe (braided lines) as solid ones (but solid is PIA to put in) If it is beside the rails and well fastened, you shouldn't have a problem.

E34-520iSE
12-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Don't some rally cars have internal fuel lines too?

Cheers,

Shaun