PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Short in seat adjustment... somewhere?

Qube
12-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Attempted to fix the errant passenger heated seat today. As the story goes, there was a wire unplugged on the passenger harness (see attached).

The normal function of the rocker switch for heat is to illuminate brighter on the selected setting. When it's depressed now, the selected setting goes out. Fine, because the wire is unplugged.

Plug in the wire. Try out the seat. After about 5 minutes, it dawns on me that the rocker switch didn't illuminate brighter but had same behavior. Psycologically I thought it was heating. I had the drivers side on as well, and didn't notice for a while that it ALSO turned off. Great both seats not working.

I unplug the wire and noticed that lumbar support didn't work on the driver side any more either.

Check the fuses... drivers side heat gone (under hood), lumbar support blown (under rear seat). For the heck of it, I replaced the passenger side adjustment fuse (under rear seat) as well. Everything worked fine except my radio had lost all presets AND the in-dash OBC display program was erased!

There is definitely a short somewhere (that's why the wire must have been unplugged in the first place!) and I believe it's not worth the trouble to track down, unless someone has an inspiration :|

On a side note, one of the lic plate lights blew during that time as well but I believe it's not related :)

I guess the primary point is that after plugging in the wire on the passenger side, the driver side heat/lumbar blew. BOTH seat adjustments still worked (forward/back, tilt).

grave77
12-25-2005, 10:47 PM
well ... I had problems in my elect. seats when I first got mine ... the best thing what to remove the whole seat off, then use an external power supply to test each motor alone for troubleshooting the problem.

as for your problem, first you need to see if the heater ( stand alone ) works fine or draws more current than it supposed to be. I don't know how much exactly but from the wire size I can say its not more than 5 Amps ... if it's drawing more then the controller might be facing trouble handling the current.

you need to check also the wires at corners and places where moving part are. I had a short under the dash cuz of the flapper twisting the wires.

make sure to separate each system alone. those fuses should be under the back seat, as the controller is there too. just spend some time with the electric diagram in ur hand and you will fix this.