PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 1995 Radiator Replacement

ZX12-R
12-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Looking for HELP! I'm changing out the radiator on my 1995 525i, and I've run into a snag. There's a separate cooler attached to the front of the radiator by brackets on the top and bottom. Ive got the top bracket off, but can't get to the bottom one. What is it, and how can I access the bottom bracket so I can remove it? The radiator is ready to come out except for the bottom bracket. $%%$$#! Any recommended sites with pics? Any and all help is welcomed.

Scott C
12-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Looking for HELP! I'm changing out the radiator on my 1995 525i, and I've run into a snag. There's a separate cooler attached to the front of the radiator by brackets on the top and bottom. Ive got the top bracket off, but can't get to the bottom one. What is it, and how can I access the bottom bracket so I can remove it? The radiator is ready to come out except for the bottom bracket. $%%$$#! Any recommended sites with pics? Any and all help is welcomed.

Automatic? Not really sure which problem you have so...

There is the A/C condensor that does not have to come out with the radiator.

Or do you mean the tranny cooler? Single bolt right between the two lines, bottom center - can see it from underneath the car. Remove the bolt and the two lines (which are clamped by the bolt) will come off. You will lose tranny fluid so have some baggies that you can wrap around the ends of lines to prevent debris from getting in. Also, you will have some fluid come out of the tranny cooler. Be careful not to lose the little O-rings.

Good Luck,
Scott

ZX12-R
12-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the prompt response. I forgot to add that it's an automatic. I was running out of daylight, and couldn't tell what was what. If I understand correctly, I will disconnect the lines to the cooler first, then remove the radiator, then remove the cooler from the radiator and reattach it to the new radiator? I was hoping that I could remove the unit without disconnecting the lines. :-( Thanks again, tomorrow I'll start at the crack of dawn to allow sufficient time. :-) Happy Holidays to all!

632 Regal
12-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Scotts on with this, something about access to the bottom bracket that maes it easier to remove the assembly as one then swapping it over.

Scott C
12-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the prompt response. I forgot to add that it's an automatic. I was running out of daylight, and couldn't tell what was what. If I understand correctly, I will disconnect the lines to the cooler first, then remove the radiator, then remove the cooler from the radiator and reattach it to the new radiator? I was hoping that I could remove the unit without disconnecting the lines. :-( Thanks again, tomorrow I'll start at the crack of dawn to allow sufficient time. :-) Happy Holidays to all!

I found no easy way to do this job without disconnecting the lines (you might want to raise them up a bit immediately after removal, then bag them - you won't lose that much fluid (just that in the cooler) and you can replace if you desire.

Moving the tranny cooler to the new radiator is a piece of cake with the radiator out.

Good time to blow out the condensor (remove leaves) while doing this job.

And if you have not done your water pump (some of them really suck-plastic failures - search here) - it is well worth the time to do this now (and thermostat and plastic thermo housing)....

Not that I am trying to waste your money .....

Scott

GAM
12-24-2005, 07:05 PM
What I did the last two times I removed my radiator is remove all the bolts and clamps holding the radiator in place and pull the radiator up as far as it goes. Then get a small socket wrench and remove the bolts holding the clamp(s). However, putting it back on is a bitch. I just left it unbolted the last time. I worried about removing the transmission hoses because I didn't want to have to deal with adding transmission fluid. The idiot BMW designers installed many BMW's without topside refill tubes. I also worried that the o-rings might not seal properly again once the connection was broken.