PDA

View Full Version : 50-60 shimmy perhaps???

azzurribaggio
12-24-2005, 12:23 AM
My problem might not be this. The front of my E34 shook pretty violently a few weeks ago around 60mph...even at lower speed and off acceleration Problem? The drive-shaft. Fixed this for $1057.00 :(
So fast forward two weeks or so. I'm driving on the highway and hit a bump on the highway (decent bump) and the car violently shakes again to the point where I have to pull over right away. Once I start back up I get off the highway and continue on city streets with no problem. I call the shop and they take a look at it but cannot reproduce the problem. I take the car back.
Last night I'm going about 60mph on a highway which is fairly bumpy and get the shakes again, I'm fairly sure these shakes are coming out because I'm going over some rough portion of the road and it happens. The shop checked out my suspension and gave me a clean bill of health.
I don't know if this qualifies for the 50-60 shimmy problem as I haven't changed tires/wheels in the last year.
If it was still the drive-shaft I would've felt the shakes right off of acceleration like before. I don't know what this could be? Any help?

MBXB
12-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Start with the struts. If they are shot, you'll get oscillation from the springs when you're on a rough road.
Then check the steering links, thrust arms and control arms.
Do a topic search in the archives.

Scott C
12-24-2005, 07:25 PM
My problem might not be this. The front of my E34 shook pretty violently a few weeks ago around 60mph...even at lower speed and off acceleration Problem? The drive-shaft. Fixed this for $1057.00 :(
So fast forward two weeks or so. I'm driving on the highway and hit a bump on the highway (decent bump) and the car violently shakes again to the point where I have to pull over right away. Once I start back up I get off the highway and continue on city streets with no problem. I call the shop and they take a look at it but cannot reproduce the problem. I take the car back.
Last night I'm going about 60mph on a highway which is fairly bumpy and get the shakes again, I'm fairly sure these shakes are coming out because I'm going over some rough portion of the road and it happens. The shop checked out my suspension and gave me a clean bill of health.
I don't know if this qualifies for the 50-60 shimmy problem as I haven't changed tires/wheels in the last year.
If it was still the drive-shaft I would've felt the shakes right off of acceleration like before. I don't know what this could be? Any help?

If you haven't replaced your control/thrust arms in the last 60K miles, I would check them as well as the sway bar links (Just as prior post says...)

Unless you REALLY trust the shop, you should check the front end yourself or take it to someone you can trust. Mine was in to the dealer and I was told it was "just fine". But I had the notorious 60mph shimmy (which wasn't horrible, but I couldn't stand it). Doesn't take much play to cause this problem, mine was quite obvious. Balljoints or bushings may cause this in these arms.

Do you have stock wheels or big ? That will make this problem worse (so I hear), I have 15".

Scott

632 Regal
12-24-2005, 07:36 PM
ANY play in the front end geometry will cause problems, if more than one problem it can escallate to the problems you have. The struts if not known when they were replaced should be a starting point.