PDA

View Full Version : Got the wife a e36 and have a question

mbogosia
12-23-2005, 03:44 PM
We picked up a 92 325i yesterday. Has every maintenance record. He did a ton of stuff to it. Even a new headliner, control arms, radiator, waterpump, etc.. I love how sporty it is also. My 525i is more comfortable though.

Anyways, I noticed that it goes up to operating temp, and then will fluctuate between the 1/4 mark and 1/2 mark. Most of the time it stays at 1/2 though. Why would it fluctuate? Should I replace the thermostat?

Paul in NZ
12-23-2005, 03:50 PM
maybe just bad connections to temp sensor

mbogosia
12-23-2005, 03:53 PM
I didn't think of that. I know I saw a reciept for a new coolant temp sensor so I will have to check the connection. Thanks

Kalevera
12-23-2005, 04:03 PM
What kind of water pump was installed?

My thought is thermostat, as well. Done a few of those recently for similar symptoms, but not on an M50.

They're fun cars. I'm still upset that I didn't buy a green '92 325i/4 5 speed for 2 gees that was sitting a mile away from my house early this year.

best, whit

mbogosia
12-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Whit,

When I change the thermostat it says to partially drain the radiator. Is this necessary, and can I re-use the coolant b/c it is not very old?

Kalevera
12-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Whit,

When I change the thermostat it says to partially drain the radiator. Is this necessary, and can I re-use the coolant b/c it is not very old?
Mbo, I'd just raise the front of the car slightly and open it up. You're going to lose some coolant, either way. So, you can catch <some> of it via a drain pan on the radiator, but it adds work time. I just open them up with the drain pan underneath.

Absolutely reuse the coolant, given that it doesn't have stuff floating in it :)

best, whit

mbogosia
12-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Okay, good. Thanks again!