PDA

View Full Version : the starter thing is turning into a big problem

skr
12-23-2005, 09:42 AM
I posted a few days ago some questions regarding my starter motor. back then it seamed like a simple job. take starter off, test solenoid, clean connections, change starer brushes).
Well, i did all that, gave it a nice black paint, put it back on the car in the same freezing cold that i took it off, and turned the key. The good thing is that it's cranking much faster than before. The bad thing is that it didn't solve the main problem.
It cranks a little bit and then stops, but the starter is still spining. it's defenatly not the solenoid, as i can hear it disingage when i let go of the key. So, starter motor working, solenoid working, and problem is still there.
This leads me to the mechanical reductor(or how ever it's called).
Can anyone give me some advice on what to do with it? i'm going to remove it again tomorow and try to figure out what to do , but any advice whould help. I don't realy know what's inside it and what goes bad, and i'd rather repair it than buy the whole starter. This is realy annoing because i have to drive a renault megane (company car), and i hate to see my bimmer standing in the garage for something like this.

so, if anyone can help me in some way, please do... save me from french car horror :)

632 Regal
12-23-2005, 12:24 PM
I never saw one of these trarters, on GM starters theres a deal that spins one way and locks the other way and is replaceable...I dont even remember what the deal is called, but sometimes they would mess up and do what your starter is doing.

Ill see if I can find anything for you.

632 Regal
12-23-2005, 12:28 PM
looked on realoem, these starters are probably similar to GM starters the way it looks. The fork from the selenoid to the deal could be worn too...Ill keep looking.

skr
12-23-2005, 01:36 PM
thanks jeff,
i don't know how the gm starters look like, mine is bosh. realoem.com doesn't show the internals of the reductor. i suspected the fork, or maybee the linkage between the solenoid core and fork but it seamed ok when i took it apart. i guess it's something mechanical , like that axle that goes back and forth. anyhow i'll take it apart again tomorow and see how that thing looks like inside. manufacturing parts isn't a problem as i work in a big ass factory that makes anything from oil extraction eqipment to fork lifters.

NEVER buy french cars. (except the Citroen DX Pallace 2.5 turbo)

skr
12-24-2005, 05:33 AM
i think i'm gonna manufacture the part in the first pic out of steel so it ain't breaking again. damn germans, they just loooove plastic. i don't.

second pic is the drive axle with the fork attached to it(made in brazil?????)

third is the aluminium housing.

Javier
12-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Starter (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD21&mospid=47382&btnr=12_0520&hg=12&fg=25)

Javier

winfred
12-24-2005, 08:15 AM
you should see all of the breakable plastic **** in a m30 starter, i was desprate for a starter and started taking several apart to build one i eventially got enough crap to make one usable starter but i think it took 4 or 5 to make one

skr
12-24-2005, 10:02 AM
do you think building that broken plastic thing out of steel is gonna create problems? was thinking bout lack of lubrication resulting in quick wear of the gears. steel on plastic has the advantage it doesn't need lubrication.
on the other hand it's easier to buy a starter from the junkyard and put together a good one out of the 2. junkyard quoted me 150$ for a starter that looked really bad...

632 Regal
12-24-2005, 10:42 AM
I wouldnt do the steel one and 150 for junk seems crazy...maybe someone has one laying around.