PDA

View Full Version : ::.. continued... Why you shouldn't swap out the EAT for stock chip in winter...

Qube
12-22-2005, 07:22 PM
::.. continued... Why you shouldn't swap out the EAT for stock chip in winter...

Coming home tonight I stopped on a clear street beside a ricer Echo hatchback. Yeah Toyota Echo. I do nothing and he revs and speeds off to the next light. I pull up gently. Everything is clear of traffic. I hold below the clutch point and maintain rev for take off. I realize that the ground is damp so I can't risk spinning off the line.

I take off in first, smoking him up to 5000. I hang back in second and let him 'catch' up at 3500, just under the sweet spot. When he pulls up beside, I push up to 5500 in second and drop third. There was absolutely no way he's catching up so I slow and let him pass. I had to make a left turn into the coin wash any way :)

Would I have been able to smoke that little rice cake with a stock chip? Perhaps. Would I have been able to have as much fun teasing the sucker just under the sweet spot? Probably not.

I only made one mistake though. My lady was in the car with me. Even though she's 'cool' with it and laughed at the Echo too, one should never risk the lives of loved ones like that. Anyhow, that's my rant.

EDIT: If I learned anything through this, it's not to swap the chip out and I need a short shifter! Damn that throw feels so long when you need it quick :)

RobPatt
12-22-2005, 08:42 PM
I think you'd smoke it w/no chip and missing on 2 cylinders. :-)

::.. continued... Why you shouldn't swap out the EAT for stock chip in winter...

Coming home tonight I stopped on a clear street beside a ricer Echo hatchback. Yeah Toyota Echo. I do nothing and he revs and speeds off to the next light. I pull up gently. Everything is clear of traffic. I hold below the clutch point and maintain rev for take off. I realize that the ground is damp so I can't risk spinning off the line.

I take off in first, smoking him up to 5000. I hang back in second and let him 'catch' up at 3500, just under the sweet spot. When he pulls up beside, I push up to 5500 in second and drop third. There was absolutely no way he's catching up so I slow and let him pass. I had to make a left turn into the coin wash any way :)

Would I have been able to smoke that little rice cake with a stock chip? Perhaps. Would I have been able to have as much fun teasing the sucker just under the sweet spot? Probably not.

I only made one mistake though. My lady was in the car with me. Even though she's 'cool' with it and laughed at the Echo too, one should never risk the lives of loved ones like that. Anyhow, that's my rant.

EDIT: If I learned anything through this, it's not to swap the chip out and I need a short shifter! Damn that throw feels so long when you need it quick :)

dacoyote
12-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I think you'd smoke it w/no chip and missing on 2 cylinders. :-)

be nice to the ricers... they think they are cool

willobmw
12-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Sometimes I spin the tires on dry pavement with the E.A.T. and I have a slush box. Yeah you have to be careful, the rear end (diff) doesn't particually like that.
No change out for me either. The tabs on the ECU will bend only so many times until they break. I don't drive the car everyday either.
Happy Holidays,
Willobmw
1990 535i

Randell
12-23-2005, 05:01 AM
shame on you for picking on a little 4 cylinder! ;)

i just went for a cruise and came upon an enthusiastically driven CLK320... was lucky enough to get a front row red light next to him... that merc V6 definitely has a nice sound to it, but once the ol' fiver hit 4krpm i was drowning it out and he was done by halfway through 2nd

the M30 surely has to be one of the sweetest 6 cylinder engines around

Qube
12-23-2005, 08:16 AM
shame on you for picking on a little 4 cylinder! ;)

i just went for a cruise and came upon an enthusiastically driven CLK320... was lucky enough to get a front row red light next to him... that merc V6 definitely has a nice sound to it, but once the ol' fiver hit 4krpm i was drowning it out and he was done by halfway through 2nd

the M30 surely has to be one of the sweetest 6 cylinder engines around

Hey, I didn't pick on him hehe. He was asking for it. And it ain't no normal 4 cylinder mate! It had stickers and everything! I swear it was making like a billion HP!

JAlfredPrufrock
12-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Street racing is cool.

Russell
12-23-2005, 10:44 AM
assume that is a joke?

Paul in NZ
12-23-2005, 12:31 PM
those little cars have good first and second gear pickup cos they are low geared and light....

Qube
12-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Street racing is cool.

Yeah, I hope that's a joke too :) If there were even one car in sight, I wouldn't have went for it. In retrospect, it's stupid... I messed up my MPG average for nothing heh.