PDA

View Full Version : gearbox manual

rob101
12-22-2005, 04:27 PM
hello everyone i am yet to get a bentley for my 2 bmws (believe me it is in the pipeline) so for my e28 i have to use a haynes manual which isn't that great unless you have an e30, anyway i was wondering whether the bentley has a good section on rebuilding the 260 Getrag (5-speed OD box from the e28) and if it doesn't whether anyone knows of some good books that might cover it.

632 Regal
12-22-2005, 04:35 PM
theres nothing about rebuilding that trans in the Bently, I just looked for you. You might have to get a repair manual from the source.

Kalevera
12-22-2005, 05:08 PM
You'll have a lot of fun just getting front part of the case off ;)

Lucky for you, I just did one and have most of the factory **** still on my web space from when I was reading it at home.

www.bimmer.info/~lowell/

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for DIYing -- but it's not an easy job for a first timer, or without the correct tools. Some of them can be made (including the one to take the front part of the case off), others can be worked around.

With the exception of a few parts, the 260/5 and /6 are the same, so both are covered as one by the factory.

Edit: also, I realized that I don't have the case dismantling instructions on there, so you'll be on your own with that.

Two other things:

- The spring plate on the rear half of the trans may be leaking. Instead of trying to reseal it with RTV, simply replace it. There's an updated part/new P/N.
- Don't go wild with the RTV. You'll need some to seal the two halves back together, and some on the collar shaft plate, because there are no paper gaskets; but remember that the same amount squeezed out is being squeezed into the trans, which is bad.

best, whit

rob101
12-22-2005, 05:20 PM
thanks lowell,
I should be okay i can borrow tools from work and ask some of the mechanics from work. I work at a maintenence workshop for a construction company, we maintain trucks, cranes (mostly), light vehicles, compressors.

But i won't attempt it until i know what i am getting myself into ie have good documentation

632 Regal
12-22-2005, 06:22 PM
whats Whitt look like? you remain a mystery man.

dacoyote
12-22-2005, 07:06 PM
whats Whitt look like? you remain a mystery man.

See... now you have gone and done it.... and Gayle will pm all the people that have yet to get pictures out.....

Gayle
12-22-2005, 07:34 PM
See... now you have gone and done it.... and Gayle will pm all the people that have yet to get pictures out.....

No comment.

dacoyote
12-22-2005, 08:40 PM
No comment.

lol