PDA

View Full Version : DAMN YOU Racing Dynamics!!!

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Please sombody tell me I'm wrong. I got a bodykit from RD 2 days ago and I was really exited about it, but I noticed that the side skirts are made from a flexible material (almost like the Oem skirts) but the front spoiler was different, well I had no time to check and I don't really know much about the materials anyways but I was afraid it was fiberglass anyways I took a closer look today and I am pretty sure that it is fiberglass, can someone tell me if this is fiberglass or not?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_174_full.jpg

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 11:59 AM
THis is the description on their website.

Front Spoiler, RACING DYNAMICS, BMW 525/535/530/540 all E34 1989-96. Manufactured from a special Racing Dynamics space age proprietary composite that keeps all the strength of original bumper fascias with the additional stiffness not to deform under high speed wind pressures but incorporates flexibility to withstand light impacts. Body parts have the resiliency and durability of polyurethane and retain the light weight of composites. Resultant product has a better memory than polyurethane elastomer. Easily finished and painted in car color. Comes complete with mounting instructions and necessary mounting hardware.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_175_full.jpg

miliue
12-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Well, it looks like fiberglass to me, but fiberglass is definitely not a "space age composite," so I don't know. If it was fiberglass, I imagine they would say so as there are plenty of people out there who could and would call them on it if they were deliberately trying to hide the fact.

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 12:17 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_176_full.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_177_full.jpg

granit_silber
12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_176_full.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/244000-244999/244870_177_full.jpg
Looks like to me too.
-ashley

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I just got this email from RD

Dear Danny,

The mold for the E34 front spoiler was broken and beyond repair many years
ago. When we developed a flexible composite about 4-5 years ago we went back
and make new molds for the older low volume parts. We have sold many, many
of these parts over the last 5 years, including parts for E24, E28, and E30
and they have not been considered "cheap fiberglass" because they are not.

If you read the description of this part you will see that we state the part
is composite. We do not think you will be disappointed when the installation
is completed on your BMW.

If I wanted fiberglass parts I would have gone with an ebay bodykit that costs 1/3 of what this bodykit costs.

Springfield1952
12-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Yep, chop gun fiberglass. It was space age in the '50's.

Curt.

Cactuar
12-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Please don't hurt me... but what is wrong with fiberglass anyway?

mattyb
12-22-2005, 01:14 PM
nothing if u know thats what ur paying for. i think thats really dannys point. mate thay should give u chance of a refund or part refund if u find a like product in fibreglass at a lower price cause that is fukd.

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 01:34 PM
nothing if u know thats what ur paying for. i think thats really dannys point. mate thay should give u chance of a refund or part refund if u find a like product in fibreglass at a lower price cause that is fukd.

That is exactly my point, I found bodykits on ebay that I liked better than the RD one, and that came with the rear apron included , for half of what I payed for the 3 piece kit that I got, I went with RD because they are supposed to be a serious company, I mean I would expect this from an ebay seller with shitty feedback but not from RD USA, plus they took forever to send me the kit, anyways does anyone have any suggestions on what my answer to this guy should be, I would really appreciate it.

632 Regal
12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
They might be using some stronger material in the glass that is stronger than standard fiberglass, "composite" means more than 1 single compound, which is how fiberglass parts are made.

It may or may not be stronger than standard kits, its your choice weather you want to send it all back and go with a cheaper kit or not.

Jose
12-22-2005, 02:42 PM
It being fibre glass material doesen't mean it's low quality or not strong. It all depends on how much layers of fibre were used in the fabrication process, and it looks pretty thick to me.
I'm sure the kits you've seen on ebay are the "see through" products wich are so thin, light shines through them, hence the see through kits name and the low pricing as these tend to break easily. Remember, there is not much left for the older bimmers out there in terms of bodykits, so you are kind of lucky to be able to get a RD kit these days.

Tiger
12-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't know where you ordered it from... Racing Dynamic has an identity theft problem... I think racingdynamic.com is fake site and sells fake stuff/cheap stuff as Racing Dynamic...

whereas rd... something.com is the real deal... so check it out and make sure you got the real deal. In any case, just return it and notify your credit card company.

Dan-ny-m398
It being fibre glass material doesen't mean it's low quality or not strong. It all depends on how much layers of fibre were used in the fabrication process, and it looks pretty thick to me.
I'm sure the kits you've seen on ebay are the "see through" products wich are so thin, light shines through them, hence the see through kits name and the low pricing as these tend to break easily. Remember, there is not much left for the older bimmers out there in terms of bodykits, so you are kind of lucky to be able to get a RD kit these days.

Yeah I guess U are right, It just not what I expected, I thought it was going to be like the material the oem bumpers use, or the sideskirts they sent me, they have MADE IN WEST GERMANY written on them jajaj, well overall it looks like it's going to be a good fit, and only time will tell how resistent the front spoiler is.

632 Regal
yes it is thick, thats how I made my front bumper on the race car, first one was thin like you said you could see through it easy...didnt think it was durable enough so I cast another one with a few more layers which I thought was more appropriate. Ended up cutting off almost 50 lbs from the stock bumper and shocks.

Booster
12-22-2005, 02:58 PM
I work with composites each week and YES, as stated earlier that is indeed a high resin chopped strand part.
If it were a hand layed up part with cross hatched weave schedules and done in something above the grade of Polyester resin it would be a "better" part and light weight.
BUT..........I don't see it in that part you've shown.:(
Sorry. In reality......it will be a workable part in the event of damage. You'll be fine if you find your stuck with it. If they are indeed the original brand, perhaps their molds are more "TRUE" than the copycats ?
..............Vinny:)

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't know where you ordered it from... Racing Dynamic has an identity theft problem... I think racingdynamic.com is fake site and sells fake stuff/cheap stuff as Racing Dynamic...

whereas rd... something.com is the real deal... so check it out and make sure you got the real deal. In any case, just return it and notify your credit card company.

http://www.racdyn-usa.com/index.shtml

this is where I got it from, and the sideskirts seem to be real, and good quality , and as for returning them, I don't want to go through the trouble of doing that , plus I have been waiting for this kit for a while, and even if I return it I would problably lose my shipping money. Maybe my experience will just be usefull for someone else, so if the buy from them they will know what they mean by "Space age Materials" anyways I will say that my main complain would be false advertisement, becasue overall the kit looks good and it seems like it is going to fit good.

pundit
12-22-2005, 03:13 PM

Yes they do have an identity theft problem... here (http://www.racingdynamics.com/Localized/NorthAmerica/Warning.htm)

pundit
12-22-2005, 03:23 PM
http://www.racdyn-usa.com/index.shtml

this is where I got it from....
According to the original Racing Dynamics (http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/NorthAmerica/RD_NA_Intro.cfm) you should have bought your kit from.. http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/NorthAmerica/RD_NA_Intro.cfm

They have issued a warning to all U.S. and Canadian customers.

http://www.racingdynamics.com/Localized/NorthAmerica/Warning.htm

Warning to our U.S. and Canadian Customers.

Racing Dynamics S.p.A. of Milan, Italy is no longer supplying its products to Electrodyne, Inc. and Racing Dynamics Inc. These companies, both based in Alexandria, Virginia, registered the Racing Dynamics trademark in the U.S. and Canada, and are manufacturing some products that are 1:1 copies of our original designs (such as the Tornado AeroKits), as well as promoting the sale of such products on their web sites by using copyrighted images that they illegally downloaded off our site.

Furthermore, customers have consistently reported that personnel at these two companies misrepresent their affiliation with Racing Dynamics S.p.A., as they portray the whole Racing Dynamics group as being one entity, when, in fact, it is not.

They further their misrepresentation by listing their copied products using the same names and acronyms we created for our own original products, such as Tornado, RS2, GTR strut brace, and so on. These business practices are questionable at best, and are in blatant violation of generally accepted business ethics, as well as showing total lack of respect for the concept of intellectual property. What these two companies are trying to do, is to convince the buying public that they are still affiliated with, and selling product manufactured by Racing Dynamics S.p.A., of Milan, Italy.

This situation has created a lot of confusion amongst BMW owners and our loyal customers alike, as most of them assume that Racing Dynamics brand products are only the ones manufactured by Racing Dynamics S.p.A. in Europe. They are instead being sold products that are either copies of our original designs, or were never developed by Racing Dynamics S.p.A. in the first place.

We apologize for this situation and wish to reiterate to the BMW community that:

any new product sold in the U.S. and Canada under the Racing Dynamics brand name, after January 1, 2003, is most likely NOT manufactured by Racing Dynamics S.p.A., therefore, no assurances can be given that it is an original Racing Dynamics S.p.A. product.

If you intend to purchase the original tuning products from Racing Dynamics S.p.A., please note that such products are only available in the U.S. and Canada under the RDSportŪ brand name.

If you need any assistance in determining whether the product you intend to purchase is manufactured by Racing Dynamics S.p.A. or is a copy, please email:

I don't know how you stand if you want to return the kit but I would be checking out the original RD kit for both price and quality - Good Luck!

liquidtiger720
12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I agree. **** RACING DYNAMICS and Federico.

I am refering to the real RDsport down in So.Cal. Laguna Niguel/ Ontario California.

The owner Federico let me wait 3 months for my wheels, in which he lied to me constantly...almost daily as I called asking if he shipped them or not. And from what I have heard, this is not the first time, nor was it the last.

But at least the product was OKAY. Cept, there were a bunch of small knicks on the wheels.

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
I agree. **** RACING DYNAMICS and Federico.

JAJJAJAAJJA I guess U don't like them that much , btw who's Federico???

pundit
12-22-2005, 03:44 PM
It appears the original Racing Dynamics may only sell gear to suit current model BMW's like the M60 etc. Not sure but looking at the website I think the prices will be well into the stratosphere.

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 03:46 PM
It appears the original Racing Dynamics may only sell gear to suit current model BMW's like the M60 etc. Not sure but looking at the website I think the prices will be well into the stratosphere.

In the website U posted they only sell stuff for newer models.

632 Regal
12-22-2005, 04:41 PM
yep, in other words you paid more for a brand name that was pretty much fraudulent of the original manufacturer. Id send the stuff back based on principle.
In the website U posted they only sell stuff for newer models.

Dan-ny-m398
12-22-2005, 04:56 PM
yep, in other words you paid more for a brand name that was pretty much fraudulent of the original manufacturer. Id send the stuff back based on principle.

The side skirts I think are real, or they are really good quality fakes, the front bumper is another story, if I based my desicion only on principle I would send it back, but there are other issues such as losing my shippping money, the hustle of sending it back and looking for another kit, then waiting for it to get here. When I started this thread I was steaming mad about mainly the false advertisement, but now I just realize that it could have been worse so I'm just looking forward to installing it.

liquidtiger720
12-22-2005, 04:59 PM
JAJJAJAAJJA I guess U don't like them that much , btw who's Federico???

Federico owns RDsport and heads up the business here in so. cal. He needs to take bus. 101 again.

Johntee540
12-22-2005, 05:46 PM
I have been to their manufacturing plant in Alexandria VA. It is definitely not fiberglass. They have what looks like a series of Vacuum Molds that pull the Polycarbonate or what ever the material is into the molds.

I can guarantee you there is no one there laying Fiberglass to make these parts.

The guy who operates their Body kit factory only works a few days a month. He comes in to replensish their stock.

Hope this helps - Jt

Johntee540
12-22-2005, 05:59 PM
This isnt an identity theft problem. I know both the guys in Alexandria as well as Federico of RDSPort (the new Racing Dynamics) Both of these guys were partners for the longest time and did business with and for each other for many many years.

This is an argument over a brand and who owns the rights to the name Racing Dynamics in North America. And so far the courts say the guys in Alexandria have that name. You notice that even though Federico is based in Italy he doesnt sell under the name Racing Dynamics in the US - he has to use RDSport under court order. He is Racing Dynamics everywhere else in the World.

So - remember - its the internet - not always gospel fact. I can put up a website claiming that Dinan parts are counterfeit and you need to order from me too......... - JT

Johntee540
12-22-2005, 06:03 PM
I am wrong then about the fiberglass - but I swear I did not see any operation to support Fiberglass construction/manufacturing while there. BTW - they manufacture for several brands there - VW/Audi/Honda parts - all of which are sold under several name brands in the market.

Tiger
12-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Yep, this is the warning I was talking about... identity theft problem.