PDA

View Full Version : Is this OBC plug-n-play for me?

Jay 535i
12-22-2005, 11:04 AM
I figure it's easier than fixing the broken LEDs in my OBC.

Is this a simple installation? Any possible issues I should be aware of?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8024339311&fromMakeTrack=true

t_marat
12-22-2005, 09:43 PM
As far as I know models apart from 518i and 520i have the chip with "info" on the car's dashboard. So practically any OBC will work. If OBC has memory chip on it, then you should remove it.

518 and 520 does not have that chip in dashboard and OBC has to have it inside.

Kalevera
12-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Actually, I've found there to be "early" and "late" OBCs, but don't quote me on that (haven't done enough research to justify it beyond an assertion). I have, however, seen similar looking OBCs (ie - '95 into '90) work on some functions, yet not others, specifically fuel economy/miles to empty. It may be a DME specific case, I don't know. The OEM manufacturer changed sometime during E34 production (to siemens or from siemens, I forget...)

As mentioned in the engine/trans swap/rebuild thread, stay away from that seller. Nothing but bad news. It's okay to pay other people to work on the car (although, it's my humble belief that the enthusiast turns his own wrench), but please don't make the mistake of buying parts from unreliable and dishonest sources.

best, whit