PDA

View Full Version : Dexron III in my G260/6?

beetos
12-22-2005, 03:17 AM
I have done searches on manual transmission oil, I gather that Dexron II was specified for the manual trannies but all I can get is Dexron III. Even though Dexron III claims to be backwardly compatible with Dexton II, I have read that it might be trouble for synchros becuase its synth.

The question is, has anyone here used Dexron III in their manual tranny, and if so, do they like it?

My tranny has put with a lot of torque over the years and is a little baulky. The synchros are probably a little tired so I want a decent (at least proper) oil in there.

Cheers

Qube
12-22-2005, 06:37 AM
If you ask the dealer, they'll probably push DexIII out to you, but this is interesting. I'd like to know as well.

peks
12-22-2005, 06:43 AM
bump..
im running dexron 3 right now and my shifts arent as smooth as they used to be before i drained the old(unknown) stuff out. been looking into my options. some some people are running sometype of redline atf that i cant get here.

what works what doesnt?

Bill R.
12-22-2005, 06:46 AM
manual Heading C is the one that applies to your car.
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/manual%20trans%20fluid.jpg

I have done searches on manual transmission oil, I gather that Dexron II was specified for the manual trannies but all I can get is Dexron III. Even though Dexron III claims to be backwardly compatible with Dexton II, I have read that it might be trouble for synchros becuase its synth.

The question is, has anyone here used Dexron III in their manual tranny, and if so, do they like it?

My tranny has put with a lot of torque over the years and is a little baulky. The synchros are probably a little tired so I want a decent (at least proper) oil in there.

Cheers

saluki540i
12-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I just went through the same thing with my 95 540 6 spd. The manual spec'd ATF - that doesn't mean much any more with all the different types out there. Bluegrass BMW was nice enough to send me the same info posted earlier about the dexron mercon. I ended up servicing my tranny with the valvoline synthetic mercon III, and can't say I've noticed any real difference in the shifting. I'm pretty patient with my getrag, as this one doesn't like to be shifted too quick ala T-5WC.

beetos
12-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Great info. I will try a new batch of Dexron III in mine and report back,
cheers