PDA

View Full Version : Front Clunk??

ZimZimmer
03-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys - this is my first post on here so be gentle with me :p
Ive just become the proud father of an 88' 530i se after a couple of years away with an Audi A4.
Car is pretty much mint, surprisingly enough for the year - but.....
It has the full sports kit on it, AND has been lowered about 30mm. Any time I go over a bump (anything higher than a very slim piece of paper), I get a clunk from the front wheel area ( both sides - but more on the right side). If I go over a largish pothole it becomes a quite unnerving bang rather than a clunk that can be felt right through the steering wheel. (A momo sports thank god...). Is it likely to be shocks? or maybe bushes? Do you think the fact that it is low accentuated the problem?
Many Thanks

mjhanna
03-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Check for play at the ends of your sway bar links first! Mark

632 Regal
03-10-2004, 01:03 PM
and then make sure the shock collar retainer nuts are tight

winfred
03-10-2004, 01:12 PM
the nut retaining the strut insert getting loose, it's accessable through the coils of the spring, the swaybar links and the thrust arm bushings are the common clunkers

MO525
03-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi Guys - this is my first post on here so be gentle with me :p
Ive just become the proud father of an 88' 530i se after a couple of years away with an Audi A4.
Car is pretty much mint, surprisingly enough for the year - but.....
It has the full sports kit on it, AND has been lowered about 30mm. Any time I go over a bump (anything higher than a very slim piece of paper), I get a clunk from the front wheel area ( both sides - but more on the right side). If I go over a largish pothole it becomes a quite unnerving bang rather than a clunk that can be felt right through the steering wheel. (A momo sports thank god...). Is it likely to be shocks? or maybe bushes? Do you think the fact that it is low accentuated the problem?
Many Thanks

First, I replaced the struts-they were leaking fluid.
Next were the Thrust Arms-their "ball joints" were SHOT-BMA has an unreal price on them.
Last, but certainly not least, were the swaybar end links.

VOILA!
No more clunks.
The car is SO much nicer to drive and SO quiet.
And not a LOT of cash outlay, really.
The improvement is astounding.

Best of luck,
Bill

ZIMZIMMER
03-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Ps See My Other Post " All Around The World " ...

mjhanna
03-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Where is the other post?