PDA

View Full Version : OT: first hand opinions on the e38

chapmanw
12-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,

I know it's a bit off topic, but there's such a wealth of knowledge on this board.

I've been eyeing a '97 740i (e38)lately. It seems to be a good deal at $12 K CDN with 150 000 km. All routine maintenance has been done and in great condition.

Any first hand opinions on this car, good and bad. Maintenance definitely seems costlier. It also goes through tires quicker.

It also doesn't seem that Nikasil was a problem for that year and engine (4.4L). But tell me if I'm wrong!

btw, I still plan to keep my e34!

winfred
12-22-2005, 05:51 AM
they aren't bad cars just not simple and fun like a e34, and yes they do cost a good bit more to keep up, not as much to diy that and they seem to come up with more strange problems

Qsilver7
12-22-2005, 07:21 AM
if you're really interested...check out www.e38.org ...it is the quintessential site for everything e38...from "what to look for", to differences between the model years...to most requested mods & upgrades...to repair "how tos".

Also, one of the better E38 forums that gets lots of traffic, lots of info, lots of knowledge (sorry it's not this one) is BimmerBoards E38 forum: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e38/. As with a lot of the e38 forums...many of the really good DIY owners went there after getting fed up with Roadfly.

If you get BIMMER magazine...hopefully you kept the DEC/05 issue...it has a great E38 Buyer's Guide that basically gives you everything you need to know about e38 ownership in a hands on guide. If you don't have a subscription...you really should contact them for a back issue...it's worth every dollar! (www.bimmer-mag.com)

liquidtiger720
12-22-2005, 08:08 AM
e38's are awsome.... totally different from the e34 though. Its a lot more luxury, but still has a few little performance style touches. The ride is super soft, even more so than my families old lexus rx300- which was a dream to drive...comfort wise. I can't comment on the maintnence and what not since we only got it a couple months ago.

charlie
12-22-2005, 07:04 PM
good info!

if you're really interested...check out www.e38.org ...it is the quintessential site for everything e38...from "what to look for", to differences between the model years...to most requested mods & upgrades...to repair "how tos".

Also, one of the better E38 forums that gets lots of traffic, lots of info, lots of knowledge (sorry it's not this one) is BimmerBoards E38 forum: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e38/. As with a lot of the e38 forums...many of the really good DIY owners went there after getting fed up with Roadfly.

If you get BIMMER magazine...hopefully you kept the DEC/05 issue...it has a great E38 Buyer's Guide that basically gives you everything you need to know about e38 ownership in a hands on guide. If you don't have a subscription...you really should contact them for a back issue...it's worth every dollar! (www.bimmer-mag.com)

chapmanw
12-24-2005, 01:51 AM
good info.

i took the plunge and bought it. it's beautiful!