PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Cap - Replace? Need to know soon, Thx!

zuzuk212
12-21-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm geting ready for long holiday trip and need to double check this. I just replaced my radiator and have been checking things periodically and noticed that there is a hell of a lot of pressure on the return hose ... also that the rad cap is a lot tighter on the new rad ... possibly making pressure release diffcult?

The cap should release pressure into the res tank or outside, no?
Should I replace this cap? It is the new style cap, not the old dome type.

Happy Holidays and Thank you!:D

Ken

632 Regal
12-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi Ken, if the cp seems tighter pushing down than maybe that radiator requires a different cap?? It might be worth looking into instead of buying another cap thats wrong.

Just an ID

R1daveg
12-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Possibly look at the thermostat too... notoriously sticky.

TWISM
12-22-2005, 04:16 AM
You can check your cap if you have the right one.

There should be a code on it. Something like "240"
If the new cap has another code then the old one, you could use the old one or buy a new one with the code of the old one.

zuzuk212
12-22-2005, 07:03 AM
It's a Behr rad ... isn't that the same as stock?

Thanks,
Ken

Bill R.
12-22-2005, 07:09 AM
a reserve or overflow tank like alot of american cars have ,its an expansion tank which is always under pressure when the rest of the cooling system is. Different function from a reserve tank. Your new radiator could have a slightly tighter neck or the threads made be newer and tighter, this won't have any effect on pressure release if it reaches the point where that becomes needed.

I'm geting ready for long holiday trip and need to double check this. I just replaced my radiator and have been checking things periodically and noticed that there is a hell of a lot of pressure on the return hose ... also that the rad cap is a lot tighter on the new rad ... possibly making pressure release diffcult?

Ken

uscharalph
12-22-2005, 09:10 AM

Ken
I was told that if your car was overheating and you replaced the radiator to get a new cap also.

zuzuk212
12-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Update & Thank you to all for your replies.
Firstly, the new caps have "200" on them, both on the top and bottom.
I wasn't able to get a replacement right away ... next thing I know, the temp is going up ... pull over and the lower hose had blown off from pressure.
I noticed that the new cap, same type as the old one I had, fit much better and did not screw in as deep. I think that the old one, with an old gasket, screwed in to where the passages would not line up and blocked pressure from going into the expansion tank.

So, to those who don't know ... do not over tighten the rad cap and if the gasket is getting thin and you feel a lot of pressure in the hoses ... cough up $15 and save yourself some worry!

Thanks to all ... I'm not sweating so much now! :D
Happy New Year!
Ken