PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper removal: how do u get this damn connector apart???

genphreak
12-21-2005, 05:52 PM
When removing your front bumper, this connector has to be disconnected (it runs the fogs and external temp sensor wiring). FOr the life of us we cannot work it out- does anyone know how you open these suckers up?? SUrely the cable ties don't need to be cutoff? We've twisted and rended but no go.
TOyotas are easier than this... am about to just cut it off and replace with a waterproof connection....if anyone knows what to do with it, please tell!

:) Nick and Kriss, (working on the redrunner again)

brodee
12-21-2005, 07:11 PM
It should twist. But why are you taking it apart there? All I had to do was disconnect the fogs at the bulbs and then disconnect the temp sensor with the connector on it.

632 Regal
12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
True enough!
It should twist. But why are you taking it apart there? All I had to do was disconnect the fogs at the bulbs and then disconnect the temp sensor with the connector on it.

mattyb
12-21-2005, 09:16 PM
more beer then twist, beer again then twist and so on and so on

moots
12-22-2005, 12:59 AM
When removing your front bumper, this connector has to be disconnected (it runs the fogs and external temp sensor wiring). FOr the life of us we cannot work it out- does anyone know how you open these suckers up?? SUrely the cable ties don't need to be cutoff? We've twisted and rended but no go.
TOyotas are easier than this... am about to just cut it off and replace with a waterproof connection....if anyone knows what to do with it, please tell!

:) Nick and Kriss, (working on the redrunner again)

TWIST it.

shogun
12-22-2005, 03:09 AM
As far as I remember you have to unlock it first. This 'knob' on top left hand is probably the release.
In any case open it. Often a lot of oxydation inside.

Javier
12-22-2005, 04:02 AM
has go down not less than 3 times.

Just disconnect the fogs and temp probe.

Messing with connections in this car, may lead to problems if not treated properly before closing back. I do just apply the old wisdom principle: "If it works don't fix it" and extend even further to this car connectors "If it works, don't even touch it".

Javier

TWISM
12-22-2005, 04:13 AM
As far as I remember you have to unlock it first. This 'knob' on top left hand is probably the release.
In any case open it. Often a lot of oxydation inside.

That is the knob of a tyrape ;)

The way it should be released is allready said. You should twist it. BUT, it could be that first you have to remove the outside. That would be very simple with a click system. Can"t tell it so, cause there is no picture of the other side.

Allthough I wonder why you have to release this connector.
In case of frontbumper removal you only need to disconnect the connecters for foglights (if you have them) and outsidetempertureprobe.
Only extra option I can think of, is headlight washers.

skr
12-22-2005, 08:10 AM
u have to twist it realy hard. try to twist it back and forth so it moves a little. it's got 4 pins that slide through 4 inclined channels. i found out that pushing the two pieces together while twisting it helps. i allso sprayed mine with wd40 and let it soke for 10 minutes. it gets realy dirty inside. you can use a screwdriver (try to stick it between the two parts) to move it a little. if it moves than you just wiggle it back and forth and twist. eventualy it will come out, trust me

632 Regal
12-22-2005, 08:37 AM
twist and shout

dacoyote
12-22-2005, 08:43 AM
twist and shout

Shake it up baby

632 Regal
12-22-2005, 08:46 AM
shake that booty

dacoyote
12-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Don't fight your feelings, give yourself a chance!

genphreak
12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Don't fight your feelings, give yourself a chance!Thanks a heap everyone. Was going to remove all the wiring and other connectors instead- but became incensed as that requires de-threading the loom from all those brittle plastic clips and so on when there si a perfectly good over-engineered connector right there. Except it won't come apart. It twists (after much heaving (and I have strong hands) at the most 3mm each way but won't budge laterally at all- thanks for the tip on the WD40. Javier- I hear ur advice, so at the moment may not even touch it. All the other clips are too brittle for words to remove anyway... these connectors are justa constant PIA on these cars (and many others) so thought I would ask this dumb Q. Thanks for the responses...

The corrosion here in Oz is very low as there is no salt on the roads- for example the mounting hardware of all the suspension bits we are installing atm comes from a 95 model 540 donor car (on the US) is in much worse shape than my original stuff (7 years older), but I guess this connector is not worth messing with if I can resist it, or it can resist me!!
:) Nick