PDA

View Full Version : Clears installation

Cactuar
12-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi guys, yesterday I received my set of clear lights for the car and I plan on installing them today. I have Hella tail lights, side markers and side indicators. I already did this job on my volvo and it was pretty straightforward but I'm wondering if there is anything I should know before doing it on the bimmer. Thanks.

note: The bentley is ordered but I don't have it just yet :)

Jay 535i
12-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi guys, yesterday I received my set of clear lights for the car and I plan on installing them today. I have Hella tail lights, side markers and side indicators. I already did this job on my volvo and it was pretty straightforward but I'm wondering if there is anything I should know before doing it on the bimmer. Thanks.

note: The bentley is ordered but I don't have it just yet :)

Tail lights are super-easy. The front indicators are a super-bitch. Still can't get my old ones out cuz they're so hard to get at. Everyone here has tried to help me, but I must be retarded or something. Gonna wait 'til spring to try again.

Qube
12-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Tails are very, very easy. Just take your time to align them well! Also, I would do a once-over on the seals before you put it on just in case.

I agree with the fronts being a b*tch. I took them to an indy to do free of charge. Still, I have to learn how to take the grill and headlamps off properly!

Cactuar
12-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys, looks like I'll wait for the bentley manual before tweaking the headights. What's a once-over?

Jay 535i
12-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys, looks like I'll wait for the bentley manual before tweaking the headights. What's a once-over?

He means a quick check to make sure the seals will seal properly. Sometimes those aftermarket lenses are sealed poorly, which will lead to condensation inside. Silicon will fix that.

At least, I think that's what he meant.

Qube
12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
That's exactly what I meant :)

If you think it's hard to install now... what will you think when you see moisture inside the clear corners... and have to take them out again? :( Seal them again now.

grave77
12-21-2005, 01:22 PM
2 bolts each + a power plug ... that goes to the fog lights too ... 15 min job

Cactuar
12-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Ok I'll make sure to check the seals, thanks.

bullyd
12-21-2005, 05:05 PM
bitch of a job? i done my front clears with no probs! now universal angel eyes thats a different story!! bought a set of h/lights from the breakers yard to practice on but 2 broken lenses later i gave up!
as far as the clears go front left is v/easy (loads of room) front right need to remove washer bottle(s) and airbox but still not hard!

willobmw
12-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Hitting the tab just right is the key on removing the grill. A sturdy extra long screw driver and some proper lighting to see the tab. Piece of cake after that. Make sure to use dieletric grease on all the bulb sockets and connectors.
Good Luck,
Willobmw

632 Regal
12-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Exactly, now why are we removing the grill and headlights again?
bitch of a job? i done my front clears with no probs! now universal angel eyes thats a different story!! bought a set of h/lights from the breakers yard to practice on but 2 broken lenses later i gave up!
as far as the clears go front left is v/easy (loads of room) front right need to remove washer bottle(s) and airbox but still not hard!

uscharalph
12-21-2005, 05:24 PM
You made the right choice with the Hella's

willobmw
12-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Yes, The sides can be done without the grill removed. A little easier with it out. I replaced my headlights and sides all at the same time. I agree with the Hella quality. The TYC smoked clears that I purchased from Abrahamsmotorsport are good quality at a decent price. No complaints. Depo is another story. I needed their smoked clear tails for consistency. Hella smoked, were too dark and pricey. Would love to have the rear fog light option though. Hint, hint. Depo, Install them and leave them alone. A little Gummi Pledge on the rubber won't hurt either'
Willobmw