PDA

View Full Version : Nikasil v. Alusil - Can you tell by VIN # alone?

NY535iManual
12-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi folks - So, I've got my 89 535, and I love it. Thing is, I want MORE... MORE MORE power. I'm starting to sniff around 540s, mostly online, and my question is this: Is it possible to tell by VIN # alone whether the car has a nikasil or alusil block? (I searched the threads: Even though there is a lot of discussion about the nature and severity of the problems with Nikasil, I could not find a clear way to tell them apart without inspecting the block.)

Thanks!

Scott H
12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
is by looking at the block

Is it possible to tell by VIN # alone whether the car has a nikasil or alusil block? (I searched the threads: Even though there is a lot of discussion about the nature and severity of the problems with Nikasil, I could not find a clear way to tell them apart without inspecting the block.)

Thanks!

632 Regal
12-20-2005, 04:21 PM
yep the block numbers tell it all, even if it might have been replaced it doesnt mean it was with Alusil.

If it passes a leakdown test it is good thats about the only way to really be sure if the Nikasil is good cause these engines can idly funney from a miriad of different problems.

*Some may disagree (like with your president) but Nikasil is lighter, faster, and smells great when its first started.

*not really except the president part