PDA

View Full Version : Funky Idle

granit_silber
12-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Today while I was driving in traffic I noticed that the car took longer to coast the speed down and that the engine was much smoother at stand still.
I looked at the tach and the engine was idling at 1k instead of the normal 550-650 range. At the next light it settled down so I didn't think much more of it.
Happened again as I left for lunch. When I reached my destination and found a spot the tach readout was 1k so I blipped the throttle - no change. So I put the tranny in neutral and the revs jumped to 1500 where I shut in down.

On top of that I also noticed that the tranny was holding gear a little longer before shifting.

Per Jeff, I checked the throttle and cruise cables. They were connected, looked fine, and were unobstructed. But to be honest, I not sure what they would look like if they were bad.

Any ideas?

I did unlock my OBC (thanks everyone) and the voltage reading was between 14.24 and 13.33. I don't know what that means just thought it might help with the diagnosis.

Thanks!
-ashely

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Have you checked the tranny fuild level / when was the last time it was changed.

Those voltages should a little high, however don't take my word on it.... someone thats sure will be by.

-Chalres

granit_silber
12-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Have you checked the tranny fuild level / when was the last time it was changed.

Those voltages should a little high, however don't take my word on it.... someone thats sure will be by.

-Chalres
Charles,

To my knowledge the tranny has never been serviced. The car was routinely serviced by the dealer it was purchased from and I'm betting that they didn't do much to the tranny. Not to say they didn't do a good job of maintainence, just that if BMW said "Lifetime" I'm betting they didn't question.

As to the OBC-- the letters "UB" were after the numbers. I don't know maybe german for watts?

I'm going to pick up some carb cleaner on the way home and hose the intakes tubes with it and see what happens. I am concerned that maybe my ICV is on the way out (of course that's cheaper than a new tranny).

-ashley

rob101
12-20-2005, 01:48 PM
hmm sounds like you might have a problem with you auxiliary air valve (aka idle control valve, aka spawn of satan) does this usually happen when the car is hot or cold or does it appear to be random? anyway i'd check the valve and the control system for it sounds a bit like it is going full open when you goto idle. (no current getting to valve= valve full open)

slip
12-20-2005, 03:35 PM
I found it was as easy shifting the panel that sits just above the accelerator pedal up (a screw had fallen out and the panel had slipped down). Sometimes it can just be something simple....