PDA

View Full Version : Trans Program - here we go!

danzee
12-20-2005, 05:46 AM
I'm troubleshooting the "Trans Program" messge problem in my wife's 1995 525i. Symptoms are that all of a sudden the message came on while driving and the trans went into the safe mode. There were absolutely no trans symptoms prior to that, which convinces me it's an electrical problem.

No codes show up at the diagnostic connector using the Peake tool. I let the car sit for a while and the message was still there, along with the trans being in the lame mode. No low voltage problems that I could measure with a DVM. For $17 I took a shot and replaced the white fuel pump relay anyway. Same results after relay replacement.

My next step is to replace the trans pulse generator if it makes any sense (I hate replacing parts as a troubleshooting method). After that who knows . . ..
Anyway, I have searched the archives, etc but still can't find the R&R procedure for the trans pulse gen. WIll access be through the inside of the car? Will I need to lower the trans? Or What? Any help would be appreciated.
Z

RobPatt
12-20-2005, 06:23 AM
..or is it pulse sensor to detect tranny speed? anyway mine did show a code, fluid pressure regulator, and I think there's a TIS or bulletin for it to be repaces along w/updated prom.... good luck you'll beat it... some folks I think have even had it be a chafed wire.. probably electrical here too.

l8apex
12-20-2005, 06:26 AM
I drive a '94 540. I've had the "Trans Program" message a number of times and was always able to reset it without incident or consequence. For one possible cause, the electronics don't like to find the car shifted into neutral while the car is moving. Think of it as a "Check Engine" light that came on as a "burp" and move on with life. It's not worth obsessing about.

danzee
12-20-2005, 07:21 AM
Well, there's no fault code to reset at the diagnostic connector.
DId you do the disconnect-battery-short-leads-reconnect thing?
Just to be clear, the car is stuck in the 3rd gear safe mode right now.
TIA<
Z

l8apex
12-20-2005, 08:10 AM
To reset the trans computer, I only have to remove the ignition key for 3 to 5 minutes on mine. Limp home is normal default mode when "Trans Program" is triggered.
If removing the key doesn't clear it then there is a problem. It is likely to be electronic or sensor related. There could be anything from a faulty wheel speed sensor-the computer doesn't like large differences in wheel speed, especially front to rear-to the trans comuter module or another sensor. It can be difficult to troubleshoot without error codes or electronic test eqiipment.

danzee
12-21-2005, 04:04 AM
I want to give replacing the transmission pulse generator a bit more thought. If it is bad, the fault must be “static,” like an open, short, or wrong impedance. My reasoning is that since the Trans Program fault is there after turning the car off and letting it sit, and it appears immediately upon starting and before any engagement of the transmission or movement of the car, it is not a “dynamic” fault like failing to generate pulses. Since I can find no reference to a fault code for that particular part, I want try to ohm it out with my Fluke DMM.
Does anyone know what the resistance should be? I have a pretty good relationship with the local dealer parts guy, but I would rather not push it by asking to check out a new sensor at his counter. Any volunteers to make a measurement?

I see there are a load of possible bad connections that can cause EGS codes (which I have no scan tool for). Looks like I need a good set of schematics and maybe pay the dealer for a EGS scan first before embarking on the hunt. Good thing we have a spare car.

TIA,
Dan Z

l8apex
12-21-2005, 06:27 AM
It's important to remove the key for 3 to 5 minutes in order for the system to reset.

632 Regal
12-21-2005, 07:19 AM
huh?

It's important to remove the key for 3 to 5 minutes in order for the system to reset.

dacoyote
12-21-2005, 07:38 AM
ditto

l8apex
12-21-2005, 07:42 AM
The transmission computer in my 540 will reset after a "Trans Program" error only if I remove the ignition key for about 3 minutes.

tim
12-21-2005, 07:42 AM
which tranny do you have? Probably the A4S 310R (gm- uses standard, not metric bolts by the way)
Do you have a dipstick? if no, then you have the A4S 310Z. Same deal really.
Do a search on those terms and get more info. If the trans prog is coming on right away after you let it sit overnight, you have an actual failure of something, and not just a little glitch or gremlin. You can take off the multipin connector from the top of the EGS, let it sit, and reconnect it. The code will still be stored, but it may shut off transprog long enough for you to back it out of the driveway and take it for a spin to see exactly where (or if) it comes back on.

Does this one have the A/M switch? I've heard of this getting fouled up when wives spill a diet coke or leaving something on it like a purse.

Did you check the fluid level and condition? Cold weather causes the fluid volume to contract.

If you don't have the dipstick, here is a link which shows the service procedure.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto.htm

Temperature is really important.

When the filter is dropped you would be able to see the valve body. The solenoids are in a line with the wiring harness attached, and there are three wires that don't go to it. One is a temperature sensor and the other two are pulse generators (speed sensors).

We really need to see the codes. I'm surprised the peake gave you nothing, and it might be worth dropping in an autozone and seeing if you can get at least a generic code out of it before you spend any dough.

Finally, it could be a module failure. It happens. Know anybody with your car from '91-'95? use their module to check if it comes to that.

danzee
12-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have done fairly extensive internet research on the trans.

I'll try taking off the off the EGS connector, but I don't expect any change. I disconnected the battery and let the car sit overnight last night to no avail. The message came up immediately after I started the motor this morning.

The A/M switch is high on my checkout list along with the selector switch. I have had the bezel off before, so no big deal.

Yeah, getting no codes off the diagnostic connector was an unexpected bummer. No OBD, so as far as I know there's really no other easily accessible place except the harnesses connectors to get more codes (EGS particularly) ala the dealer's tools. What does Autozone have?

The nearby dealer, Tate BMW of Annapolis, is so awful that I go to Tischer 40 miles away in Silver Spring when I need anything. Tate wouldn't agree to just pulling diagnostic codes for me and I hesitate to go the 40 miles in the lame mode. Too many stops and starts. For now I'll start working my list on a time available basis.

I will put dropping the trans pan near the bottom of the list.

I have sent out local feelers for a module to try swapping. So far no volunteers.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. Keep 'em coming.