PDA

View Full Version : Hand break turns in the snow

McWatters
12-19-2005, 08:39 PM
umm i know its gotta be bad for the car butt how bad?

anythign that i should worry bout ?

cheers

J.McWatters

Jon K
12-19-2005, 08:43 PM
this has to be a fake post...

McWatters
12-19-2005, 08:45 PM
HAHA GOT YOU

cheers

J.McWatters

On a serious note jon f u :) hahah it infact is real

Jon K
12-19-2005, 08:47 PM
god... really?

in that case...
you'll flat spot your tires...
perhaps seize or wear your e-brake less than ideally.. don't do it.

McWatters
12-19-2005, 08:49 PM
lol dam. its so much fun in my moms protege.

i always knew it was to good to be true. haha

Thanks Jon . sorry for my ignorance.. god.

cheers

J.McWatters

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Why bother using the handbrake when you get the same effect by booting the throttle? We're talking about snow and RWD here.

Using the handbrake to get around corners on a low traction surface is for FWD and AWD cars.

Kalevera
12-19-2005, 09:07 PM
The more immediate problem is the *potential* to bend a trailing arm or the like. At the moment, we have a 540 on the alignment rack/attempting to track down the same type of culprit. The car hits a pothole/crack in the pavement/curb at the wrong angle, and you'll be up for some pretty expensive work, or a few hard days under the car. I have very few nice anecdotes to share on replacing trailing arms.

best, whit

DanDombrowski
12-19-2005, 10:02 PM
you wear the brake and you slow down. I'm with whoever said to blip the throttle instead.

Paul in NZ
12-20-2005, 01:38 AM
it will be all fun until something gets in the way....

Maki
12-20-2005, 09:15 AM
The really cool technique to master on minimal-traction surfaces is left-foot braking -- that is, braking with the throttle applied. Takes the fear out of oversteer!

bahnstormer
12-20-2005, 09:17 AM
its his mom's protege to all the 2nd grade level readers we have =]
that means fwd

and no, in the snow you won't flat spot your tires

and those oem protege tires have such a hard compound that
you won't flatspot em even in the dry

kyleN20
12-20-2005, 10:42 AM
hold up jon, in the snow????? yer not gunna get flat spots sliding around it the snow, theres little to no friction, on a second note, i understand doing it in the mazda, via front wheel drive, but why in the e34, just power slide, as for the effectson the e brake, its probally like everthing else in the world, you use it hard, itl ware out, its not rocket science, but i highly doubt that youl get flat spots sliding in the snow, come on, yer better then that jon, haha

kyle

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 11:51 AM
My friend used to have a fwd pos... though he was all cool using the hand break to get it to slide....

Took him out in the bmw... turned off the tracking control in the parking lot... and showed him what a "real" car can do...

bahnstormer
12-20-2005, 12:05 PM
fwd = fag wheel drive or facking wrong (wheel) drive

http://bimmerboys.com/FWDSUX.bmp

DaCan23
12-20-2005, 12:06 PM
I tried to do some "light" donuts a few weeks ago in the snow and it was damn hard w/ the traction control on, of course turn it off and its eazy to get the tires to spin. I think the E34 traction control is pretty amazing, you feel the slippage, but its hard to get the car sideways and have good control through turns.

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 12:23 PM
I tried to do some "light" donuts a few weeks ago in the snow and it was damn hard w/ the traction control on, of course turn it off and its eazy to get the tires to spin. I think the E34 traction control is pretty amazing, you feel the slippage, but its hard to get the car sideways and have good control through turns.

Yeah... with the traction control on the car doesn't wanta do anything cool...

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Coolest Logo ever

Beez540
12-20-2005, 01:02 PM
During snowy and/or icy days way back when I was in high school... my buddies and I would all drive down to a predetermined parking lot and "drift" (we called it powerslide back then) a circuit around the lot during the lunch hour. Or we may just have donut contests. Of course, no E34 then ( I wouldn't do that to my baby anyway.. well not much;) ). I used to have a 78 Dodge Aspen coupe with a super six, and after I rolled that one thanksgiving, I was stuck with Dodge aries K-car. I got the snow donut style points in that thing because the only way to do good donuts was in reverse (damn fwd).

mzarifkar
12-20-2005, 01:32 PM
I consider my self a decent drifter, let me just put that out there (i didnt say i was humble)
when drifting a long turn, I use a combination of kicking the trotthle and lifting the ebrake to sustain or adjust the drift, you can start a drift either way, i find with trotthle you have more control.
just my $0.02

McWatters
12-20-2005, 09:19 PM
ok well now ive actually got some decent feedback here. Thanks alot guys

Well i plan on having my fair share of fun with the e34, but only when theres a decent amount of snow.

Thanks again.

Cheers

J.McWatters