PDA

View Full Version : Powerbraking and Revving in Neutral

Alexlind123
12-19-2005, 07:23 PM
From what i have gathered from searching, revving the engine on my car in park after driving it will result in a broken transmission over time. I also have reason to suspect that if i start the car in park or neutral and leave it in park or neutral, then it is ok to rev it as long as i havent driven it.
I have always been afraid to perform a "powerbrake" or "brake stand" for fear that it would damage the transmission. A friend recently told me that it is only hard on the rear end and is fine for the transmission, im not sure i believe this so i havent tried it yet.

Any experience or wisdom on these matters?

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Bad Idea... nuff said...

winfred
12-19-2005, 08:09 PM
the zf tranny that the 535s and 89-90 525s came with had a defect that slowly eats up the first gear clutches, power brakeing it speeds up the failure, some of the zf trannys of the same model (4hp22) seem to be effected more quickly then others. when it fails it will only go backwards or not move at all, when i am working on a 4hp car and need to rev it i get the back end off the ground so if it's bypassing the wheels can spin and no dammage is done