PDA

View Full Version : OT who makes off brand tires?

Russell
12-19-2005, 10:07 AM
I have a co-worker who had four new chinese made tires called GT555+ by apparently BST radial installed on a Mazda Mellinia. Tread wear ranking is 320. Who made this tire? Is there an easy on-line source of tire manufacturers? Seems like I saw such a list. Googled briefly and was not sucessful.

TIA

rockyfeller
12-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Don't risk on cheapo tires. Just budget $20 more and get a good quality tire. I used to sell tires and the difference with budget tires vs. mid-range is HUGE. More efficient, longer lasting, better warranty, more durable and most importantly SAFE.

Torque
12-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Don't do it. They might have ok threadwear rating, but their grip is ****. My car came on Mastercrafts ... terrible tire. Even when it was almost new, there was no grip.

60-70 dollars for Yokohamas, BFGoodriches, Goodyears or Michelins is really not that much.

Scott H
12-19-2005, 11:07 AM
If you used to sell tires then maybe you can answer the ACTUAL QUESTION he asked!!!

He never said he was looking to buy these tires, he just wanted to see if he could identify who makes them!

It's amazing how poorly some people read and comprehend here lately.

Don't risk on cheapo tires. Just budget $20 more and get a good quality tire. I used to sell tires and the difference with budget tires vs. mid-range is HUGE. More efficient, longer lasting, better warranty, more durable and most importantly SAFE.

Don't do it. They might have ok threadwear rating, but their grip is ****. My car came on Mastercrafts ... terrible tire. Even when it was almost new, there was no grip.

60-70 dollars for Yokohamas, BFGoodriches, Goodyears or Michelins is really not that much.

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 11:21 AM
If you used to sell tires then maybe you can answer the ACTUAL QUESTION he asked!!!

He never said he was looking to buy these tires, he just wanted to see if he could identify who makes them!

That post is at least as useless as the ones that preceeded it.

Maybe, rather than failing to comprehend, they gave the only relevant information they had. That's better than nothing IMHO, or a flame, which is what you offered.

Bill R.
12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
this site which gives your tire codes locations (http://www.harriger.com/tire1.htm)
Russell always posts the questions on both sites at the same time so i'm sure he's already seen the answer.

Scott H
12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
pot...kettle....black again

BTW their information was not relevant.....they were opinions just like yours and mine are...

That post is at least as useless as the ones that preceeded it.

Maybe, rather than failing to comprehend, they gave the only relevant information they had. That's better than nothing IMHO, or a flame, which is what you offered.

Russell
12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Yep-thats correct. Thanks

wingman
12-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Pistols at dawn?

rockyfeller
12-19-2005, 06:04 PM
SHish just trying to give some good advice. I can comprehend quite well.....don't question my academics please! I don't like to brag.

I know how some are touchy with the attitude "jus answer the question or shutup" but this is different. I believe tires are a safety issue and I will voice my concern sorry to offend. Sue me! I wanted to give a little warning since I have experience in the field. This is a heavy performance vehicle and drivin on cheapo tires without proper speed ratings, weak sidewalls, sucky compounds will leave you in a ditch. Seen it too many times before.

Russell
12-19-2005, 06:17 PM
My question was for a co-worker with a Mazda Melinnia, not me. (I use Bridgestones) I tried to tell her that usually low cost no-name tires will not last long and or give her a margin of safety. She would/could not even spring for an alignment. Her Husband either did not know or care. It bother's me as she has two small kids that ride in the car to school.

It was a reputable tire store that sold her the tires. The tires may be very good for the price. I just do not know. If I found out there tires were not a resonable quality, she may be albe to return them as they have only been on since Friday. Thanks for your concern.

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 08:45 PM
I was watching Auto Talk (a crappy call-in show on public access TV here) yesterday, and some guy called in all indignant about the current hubbub over winter tires, and how his car does just fine with all seasons.

He went on about how he's never needed them, never had a problem, yada yada yada. He obviously has not given any thought to the pedestrian who might pay the price for his ignorance. Winter tires shave a good percentage of stopping distances, and since pedestrians are quite soft, even a few inches can make a big difference.

It's amazing how people can let their own feelings of omniscience and self-righteousness put them in deadly situations. It's disheartening to think of how many road deaths occur each year for want of proper tires.