PDA

View Full Version : Excessive wind noise

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 09:09 AM
I've been reading a lot of magazine articles from the late 80s and early 90s about the E34. Almost universally, the car is praised for uncanny quietness on the highway.

I actually find the wind noise in my car on the highway quite loud. The vast majority of it seems to come from the base of the windscreen (so please don't tell me to inspect my door seals, because those are quiet). Wipers, perhaps, are the culprit. Note I've posted this related thread:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17019

So I just wonder, is my car louder than it should be, or have our standards just gone up a few notches since 1988? I certainly wouldn't call the car "eerily quiet", as one reporter did. What's up?

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Check the plastic at the bottom of the windscreen.... those clips come apart after time....

632 Regal
12-19-2005, 09:13 AM
This has been discussed before, something about the parts under the hood at the base of the windshield....I think.

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 09:16 AM
This has been discussed before, something about the parts under the hood at the base of the windshield....I think.

Oh, interesting.

Do you know what I should search for?

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 09:19 AM

You lost by one minute Jeff..... but you get all the credit....

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 09:21 AM
What black plastic clips am I looking for, exactly?

Can someone make this a little clearer?

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 09:27 AM
What black plastic clips am I looking for, exactly?

Can someone make this a little clearer?

I can take a picture when I get home, however if you follow the windscreen down.. there is a black plastic piece, there are little square pieces that are the top of the clips... they wear out and that plastic part will "float"

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 09:29 AM
I can take a picture when I get home, however if you follow the windscreen down.. there is a black plastic piece, there are little square pieces that are the top of the clips... they wear out and that plastic part will "float"

Ahhh. A pic would be great, but I think I get it. Thanks. I'll have a look for that.

Do I need to open the hood to see this plastic piece clearly?

Should I just give it a wiggle test, or what? Two test tickles?

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Ahhh. A pic would be great, but I think I get it. Thanks. I'll have a look for that.

Do I need to open the hood to see this plastic piece clearly?

Should I just give it a wiggle test, or what? Two test tickles?

Nope... should see it hood closed.....

Russell
12-19-2005, 09:49 AM
I have heard that a poor job of replacing the windshield can cause a lot of wind noise as it is "sealed" with some sort of mastic. The trim is just that a cover or "trim" to cover the seam.

Alexlind123
12-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Most of these clip are missing on mine, i can actually pull the right section comepletly out and the left section is very loose, but the only wind noise i have ever heard comes from the drivers side window seal above 60 sometimes (depending on just how the window shuts). I wouldnt really call my car uncannily quiet compared to todays cars (probably about the same), but it is definetly quieter than all other cars of the same era that i have experienced including toyota corollas 4runners, acura integras and an 827sl rover sterling. The rover would be quiet except for the multitude of squeeks and rattles everywhere inside.

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I have heard that a poor job of replacing the windshield can cause a lot of wind noise as it is "sealed" with some sort of mastic. The trim is just that a cover or "trim" to cover the seam.

No, the windsheild is original. I know because it still has the engine break-in directions stuck to it :)

I would love a new one, though. It's quite badly scratched.

Russell
12-19-2005, 10:11 AM
In my case, I think it is the sunroof gasket? I may also replace the inner door gasket.

Another thought is some of the fresh air flaps on the heating/cooling system partially open all the time? Anyway, I want to resolve it. I find wind noise troublesome over 75 mph.

Let us know if you find it.

Gayle
12-19-2005, 06:12 PM
I have a new windshield in the 535 and I have a lot of wind noise compared to the 525 of the same year we used to own. I had wondered if it was that clip that is missing or if the new windshield was not seated properly. You have inspired me to try the clip cure first before more drastic measures. Thanks.

Russell
12-19-2005, 06:31 PM
one month after I got the car by a reputable shop who does the BMW dealer's cars. I immediately thought I noticed more wind noise. Took it back nothing helped. I even took off the plastic panels below the windshield, replace trim clips and added/recalked the glass with silicon. I removed the piller post covers on the interior and calked possible opening in that area. Not sure it did anything.

I wonder if air/wind noise is coming in around top of the windshield somewhere. There is no apparent water leak. One thought is to remove the outer windshield trim moldings and add silicon calking. Not sure how to do this without destroying $300 worth of moldings. Any ideas? Not even sure this is the problem.

Gayle
12-19-2005, 06:43 PM
. One thought is to remove the outer windshield trim moldings and add silicon calking. Not sure how to do this without destroying $300 worth of moldings. Any ideas? Not even sure this is the problem.

My moldings cracked. A prior bad windshield repair had used calking (before she belonged to me). I had the car parked on our steep driveway and the angle stressed the molding on the passenger side and it cracked. That is why I have a new windshield. :( The Indy I was at on Friday said they had a glass referral who could take the windshield out and reseat it without breaking it.

But the sound doesn't seem like it is coming from the sides. It seems like it is coming from even with my right arm. That is what made me suspect the missing trim clip.

I thought about burning insense in my car to see where the smoke leaked out. Was going to do it on a day with Santa Anna winds but we didn't get any this year.

2fast
12-19-2005, 07:33 PM
I have wind noise it pisses me off as soon as I hit 30 KPH it starts.
I have taped up all the windows and sun roof and the doors!
Can't track it down.
Its not the wipers or the black plastic part as I took them off.

I have learned to live with it,my poor old girl.

Paul in NZ
12-20-2005, 02:00 AM
taking the blck trim off wont make it quieter,mine isl ouder than an identical model,i am gonna try sunroof seal and adjustment of sunroof