PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried hingeless wipers on the E34?

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Has anyone tried hingeless wiper blades with the E34 (pic below)?

Canadian Tire sells universal ones, and they come as standard equipment on many (if not all?) of the new BMWs. I have them on my other car and they're great. But I'm not sure they'll work on the E34 because of the unique wiper arm. Anybody know?

My main reason for wanting them is to cut down highway wind noise. I think at least 50% of the wind noise I can hear inside the car is from the wipers, and these are much lower profile.

Thanks.

http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images/Automotive/WiperBlades/0211400_450_CC_3b443.jpg

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 08:46 AM
I haven't... but those are cool looking......

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 08:53 AM
I haven't... but those are cool looking......

Yup, and they do work great on my '86 Toyota. I notice the new 3 series has them. I just wonder if they'll work on the E34. It looks like the passenger-side wiper arm has a rest attached to it that only lets it get so close to the windshield. Maybe not close enough for these wipers, I fear.

Anyone know for sure?

peks
12-19-2005, 09:00 AM
i think youll have interference trying to get either wiper close to the windshield but can you try on from one of your other cars? or are you speaking of your other cars in the past tense?

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 09:06 AM
i think youll have interference trying to get either wiper close to the windshield but can you try on from one of your other cars? or are you speaking of your other cars in the past tense?

"Other car" is present tense, but I no longer have the universal adapter kit that came with them, so I don't think I can swap them onto the Bimmer. Furthermore, the Toyota's wipers are much shorter, so while they might work, it's possible that longer ones won't.

I think I'll go to Canadian Tire and pay them their flat $10 fee for wiper installation. Then, if they don't work, I can just return them. I'll report back with the results, unless anyone can verify that it will or won't work.

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 09:08 AM
..... I think I'll go to Canadian Tire and pay them their flat $10 fee for wiper installation. ...

I am thinking about going down to autozone tonight and checking it out....

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I am thinking about going down to autozone tonight and checking it out....

I wasn't planning on going today. If you do, please report back your results. :)

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 09:11 AM
I wasn't planning on going today. If you do, please report back your results. :)

sure thing...

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 09:15 AM
sure thing...

FWIW, I just learned this:

The Canadian Tire Reflex wiper blade is also sold in the US by Trico under the trademark name, ‘Beam/Innovision Blades’.

Black 535i
12-19-2005, 09:46 AM
How much are these at crappy tire? I am coming up for X-Mas next week from Chicago and wondering if they are cheaper there?

Canadian Tire sells universal ones, and they come as standard equipment on many (if not all?) of the new BMWs. I have them on my other car and they're great. But I'm not sure they'll work on the E34 because of the unique wiper arm. Anybody know?

My main reason for wanting them is to cut down highway wind noise. I think at least 50% of the wind noise I can hear inside the car is from the wipers, and these are much lower profile.

Thanks.

http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images/Automotive/WiperBlades/0211400_450_CC_3b443.jpg

shanek
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I haven't checked but I've been told that Wal-Mart sells them too, and they are cheaper.
I presumed they woudn't work because of the hook on the drivers side but would like to know for sure.

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
How much are these at crappy tire? I am coming up for X-Mas next week from Chicago and wondering if they are cheaper there?

About CDN$40/pair.

Jay 535i
12-20-2005, 08:38 AM
So nobody's tried these yet?

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 08:49 AM
So nobody's tried these yet?

Nope.... had some work issues... didn't leave work till 11:30 last night

632 Regal
12-20-2005, 09:35 AM
leave early tonight and get a apir and let us know, okay??
Nope.... had some work issues... didn't leave work till 11:30 last night

Jay 535i
12-20-2005, 09:47 AM

Yeah! Sheesh... ;)

Qube
12-20-2005, 10:25 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think I'll go to Canadian Tire and pay them their flat $10 fee for wiper installation. Then, if they don't work, I can just return them. I'll report back with the results, unless anyone can verify that it will or won't work.

Believe me... a lady friend of mine had it done at CT and one of the two flew off during highway operation. I wouldn't trust CT to do ANYTHING, even if there were a few good guys there.

I was looking at it but don't believe it will work due to the overhinge configuration on the driver side of mine...

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 10:41 AM

Sure thing Jeff.....

Jay 535i
12-20-2005, 12:27 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Believe me... a lady friend of mine had it done at CT and one of the two flew off during highway operation. I wouldn't trust CT to do ANYTHING, even if there were a few good guys there.

Come on, that's hardly the end of the world. It's worth the ten bucks just so I have an easier time returning them if they don't fit.

shanek
12-27-2005, 06:07 AM
I went to parts source yesterday and got them to open one and let me try it. I couldn't get it to fit. I think the passenger side would probably be fine but I couldn't get it to work on the driver's side so I didn't bother checking. Do all E34s have the backwards hook on the drivers side?

Black 535i
12-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Installed these this morning and drove from Toronto to Chicago today. Rained all the way on and off and I can sya that they were a major improvement on her car. I bought a pair for the 535i and will let you know about fitment and quality later in the week. They really do make a difference and leave no streaks at all. The only major gripe is that there is no way to fit a replacement rubber insert in them after they start to wear out-you will have to nut a new wiper again. I'm no hippy but this does seem wasteful. The other gripe was buying something in Ontario and getting charged $7.00 tax on $50.00 worth of stuff. Glad I do not live there anymore! 15% tax on everything takes the fun out of some things. Granted 8.75% here in Chicago ain't a lot better.

Thanks.

tim
12-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Jay,

I had them (but not the same brand you are considering) on an audi allroad and they were a big problem with chattering. They were almost too effective. The audi did not allow for spring tension adjustment on the wiper arm, which would have probably helped. It was so annoying, I literally sold the car because of it. The audi ones had a special plastic blade connection system thingee that was not compatible with the e34(although its the same as the volkswagon). I posted a few dark pix way back: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7788&highlight=allroad

CBC
12-28-2005, 05:42 PM
I just checked Trico's web site and it provides Innovision part #'s for my 1995e34 - Driver-side 14-220, and Passenger-side 14-240. Pep Boys is the only parts store I am familiar with locally that appears to carry them (according to the Trico site).

Reducing wind noise is a plus in my book. I'm using winter blades right now which create a lot of noise even at low speeds. The Innovisions would seemingly give the benefit of a winter blade since there are no hinges to freeze up, while reducing the wind noise too.

I'll hit Pep Boys this weekend to buy a pair and report back if they actually fit or not.

Qube
12-28-2005, 06:12 PM
So is it definitive that there is no way in heck to fit these on the underhinged arms on some e34s?

swenpro
12-28-2005, 06:42 PM
I went out this week and paid $27 for OEM wiper refills for what I thought were OEM blades on my car. Turns out the inserts fit the passenger side, but not the driver side (guides are too narrow)--interesting, because the driver's side blade seems most OEM: has the Bosch stamp and the wind deflector.

So tonight I paid $12 for a whole new Bosch Excel blade (metal and rubber insert). Compare with OEM blade for $47 at BMA... granted it doesn't have the wind deflector, but seems to be wiping fine. Is the blade supposed to "click" in place when installed? It's on the hook and not moving, but wasn't sure if it secured itself somehow...

Jay 535i
12-28-2005, 07:06 PM
I just checked Trico's web site and it provides Innovision part #'s for my 1995e34 - Driver-side 14-220, and Passenger-side 14-240. Pep Boys is the only parts store I am familiar with locally that appears to carry them (according to the Trico site).

Reducing wind noise is a plus in my book. I'm using winter blades right now which create a lot of noise even at low speeds. The Innovisions would seemingly give the benefit of a winter blade since there are no hinges to freeze up, while reducing the wind noise too.

I'll hit Pep Boys this weekend to buy a pair and report back if they actually fit or not.

Please do! The part numbers are an encouraging sign.

Qube
12-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Please do! The part numbers are an encouraging sign.

Jay, if you ever get confirmation of ANY CrappyTire wiper (not just the insert) that can replace the underhook driverside, let me know! I'll be watching this thread closely.

shanek
12-28-2005, 08:41 PM
I got the Trico numbers of the website before I went to Parts Source but all the number is, is the length. So all the part number means is that you need a 22" pass. side and a 24" drivers. Parts Source (which is owned by Canadian Tire) carries the Trico ones and they don't seem to work on the drivers side.
The Reflex ones that Canadian Tire sells are probably made by Trico and packaged for Canadian Tire.

Jay 535i
12-28-2005, 09:07 PM
I got the Trico numbers of the website before I went to Parts Source but all the number is, is the length. So all the part number means is that you need a 22" pass. side and a 24" drivers. Parts Source (which is owned by Canadian Tire) carries the Trico ones and they don't seem to work on the drivers side.
The Reflex ones that Canadian Tire sells are probably made by Trico and packaged for Canadian Tire.

That's what I'm afraid of. I'll get to CT eventually to find out for sure.

Black 535i
12-31-2005, 03:50 PM
...you have to adjust the sizes required by BMW. I bought the 24" and 22" versions and they are a bit too long. I recommend the 22" for the driver's side and the 20" or 21" maximum for the passenger side. Took them out for a spin last night in the freezing rain and snow here in Chicago last night and there was no problem with chatter or steaking. I must say that they seemed much clearer than any other wipers I have tried. Two thumbs up from me for a $40.00 investment. Anyone else who has tried these let me know their opinions as well.

Thanks.

Jon K
12-31-2005, 04:06 PM
we call them banana blades on the audi/vws we work on

Jon K
12-31-2005, 04:08 PM
...you have to adjust the sizes required by BMW. I bought the 24" and 22" versions and they are a bit too long. I recommend the 22" for the driver's side and the 20" or 21" maximum for the passenger side. Took them out for a spin last night in the freezing rain and snow here in Chicago last night and there was no problem with chatter or steaking. I must say that they seemed much clearer than any other wipers I have tried. Two thumbs up from me for a $40.00 investment. Anyone else who has tried these let me know their opinions as well.

Link and Part numbers?

shanek
01-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Did you have a regular wiper on the drivers side or the wiper with the wind deflector? Mine has the wind deflector so the hook is backwards and I couldn't get it to fit.

BMWDriver
01-01-2006, 05:31 PM

Ditto for the size. I cut the blade a bit, just the rubber, on the driver's side as to not damage the windshield trim. But it seems allright on the passenger side, although the tip does'nt touch glass at the down position. I've had them on since october. They are great in the snow, but you'll still get a bit of ice on the rubber, no matter what, during dreadful conditions.

But keep a lookout on the arm. Mine on the passenger side drove into the hood for some unknown reason. Bit of paint damage and some on the arm as well. Not entirely sure the arms are OEM.

Black 535i
01-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Unfortunately that is how they were designed and there is no simple fix. There was talk of a redesigned wiper arm but there was never a definitive answer on part number or anything to improve the situation for us. Glad to hear that you like the wipers as well. I will trim mine as you did.

Ditto for the size. I cut the blade a bit, just the rubber, on the driver's side as to not damage the windshield trim. But it seems allright on the passenger side, although the tip does'nt touch glass at the down position. I've had them on since october. They are great in the snow, but you'll still get a bit of ice on the rubber, no matter what, during dreadful conditions.

But keep a lookout on the arm. Mine on the passenger side drove into the hood for some unknown reason. Bit of paint damage and some on the arm as well. Not entirely sure the arms are OEM.

Jay 535i
01-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Thanks for that tip.

Do we have a definitive answer on whether or not these work on a wiper arm equipped with the wind deflector? I wouldn't mind losing the deflector if it's not necessary. I just want to know that the 'banana blades' will work with my wiper arm.

shanek
01-03-2006, 03:16 PM
The hook on the drivers side is the problem. The blade catches on the arm so it can't sit flush against the windshield. Regular wipers hook from the top, the wind deflector blade hooks from behind so the hook goes the other way. Try and install the passenger side on the drivers side and you'll see what I mean. I think they changed sometime in 91. So 92 and up should be fine. I've never seen a later model close up but from the pictures it looks like they have a regular blade on the drivers side.

Jay 535i
01-03-2006, 03:32 PM
The hook on the drivers side is the problem. The blade catches on the arm so it can't sit flush against the windshield. Regular wipers hook from the top, the wind deflector blade hooks from behind so the hook goes the other way. Try and install the passenger side on the drivers side and you'll see what I mean. I think they changed sometime in 91. So 92 and up should be fine. I've never seen a later model close up but from the pictures it looks like they have a regular blade on the drivers side.

How difficult/expensive is it to swap the upside-down wiper arm for a later one?

Alexlind123
01-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I tried the trico hingeless brand that the store has for my car. It might have worked on the passenger side, but the hook i really too long. The dirvers side would not fit at all. I ended up breaking the little button on the passenger side wiper, you cant see it but i will just mention it when i return them, they will probly charge me for it.

The particular store i went to has free installation, so i will drive there at some point.

The reason i tried installing these is because my mom has them on her car and they are the only good blades she has ever has in terms of chattering and squeaking.

SharkmanBMW
01-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Come on, that's hardly the end of the world. It's worth the ten bucks just so I have an easier time returning them if they don't fit.

Cambodian tire will take anything back, just install it yourself! Buy a new toaster and return the old one in the new box!
Idiots!
(No I did not actually do it....!)

Jay 535i
01-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I tried the trico hingeless brand that the store has for my car. It might have worked on the passenger side, but the hook i really too long. The dirvers side would not fit at all. I ended up breaking the little button on the passenger side wiper, you cant see it but i will just mention it when i return them, they will probly charge me for it.

The particular store i went to has free installation, so i will drive there at some point.

The reason i tried installing these is because my mom has them on her car and they are the only good blades she has ever has in terms of chattering and squeaking.

So then they don't work on the driver's side, or you're going to keep trying?

Alexlind123
01-20-2006, 06:12 PM
They dont work on the drivers side. The place where my mother bought them offers free installation, so i will take my car there and see if they have any that fit.