PDA

View Full Version : Car Throttle Problem

t_marat
12-19-2005, 06:54 AM
I have a problem with the throttle (gas pedal) control. It works normally, but if you press and release (for example when accelerating), engine continues to rev up for a while, about 1 second. For example, when I release the gas pedal at 3000, it goes higher till 3500 and then goes down; or it stays at 3000 for a while and then goes down.
What is wrong with the engine?

Thanks.

YODA 1
12-19-2005, 07:22 AM
I have a problem with the throttle (gas pedal) control. It works normally, but if you press and release (for example when accelerating), engine continues to rev up for a while, about 1 second. For example, when I release the gas pedal at 3000, it goes higher till 3500 and then goes down; or it stays at 3000 for a while and then goes down.
What is wrong with the engine?

Thanks.

----Hmmmm, wise it would be if you check #3 spark plug wire, mmm,ohhh,mmm

t_marat
12-19-2005, 08:23 AM
Why number 3 plug??

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Why number 3 plug??

Don't worry about it man... Yoda is being a ass.....

Someone that knows will be here to help you out.

Maybe the cable is sticking?

Darth Sidious
12-19-2005, 08:34 AM
----Hmmmm, wise it would be if you check #3 spark plug wire, mmm,ohhh,mmm

Yoda... don't make me come kick your ass again....

octanejunkie
12-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Yeah, classic sticky throttle cable. Could be gunk in your throttle body too or a worn shaft on your butterfly.

t_marat
12-19-2005, 08:59 AM
If it is the case of the sticky throttle cable; how can I clean it off?

Butterfly is the thing to which the cable is connected in the engine bay?

Alexlind123
12-19-2005, 10:03 AM
This is going to be hard to explain, but the throttle stuck on my car when my dad was driving it before he bought it for me. It turned out that the sheath around the cable (i cant remember if it was the cruise control of gas pedal) had broken and that at full throttle, part of the cable inside could come back and ride up on the part of the sheath that was broken, causing it to stick. It was fixed with some electrical tape when we got home, and has worked great ever since (although my father wast very keen on the idea of electrical tape in the hot conditions under the hood).
If you didnt understand that, i would inspect the cables near the throttle body while a friend presses the gas pedal (with the engine off of course) to see what it does when it sticks.