PDA

View Full Version : Jr-Ran across an old email where you wrote this...

billb
12-19-2005, 06:18 AM
...about the experience difference in the E30 318is versus the E34.

" One thing more to mention, after you have driven it regularly for a couple
of weeks, go get in the 5er and take it for a spin. You will have a renewed
appreciation for the comfortable luxury that the 5er still offers. I really
appreciated the 535 after driving the 3er for a while."

I had one of these moments Saturday. Web and I were going to run some errands, but my carseat had been left at the in-laws' house. So, into the E34 we pile. It's been a while since I've been allowed in the E34 except for maintenance work. She's garage-kept, so she was already "warm" relatively speaking. Eased out of the driveway, smoothly headed up the cul-de-sac. Eased through the neighborhood, glided over the speed humps. Cruised out onto the secondary roads. Easily navigated over to the home store, with nary a harsh jolt or offending sound. Made our purchase at the home store (3 bags of mulch and some other goodies, all in the trunk), then headed back home. Got in a little acceleration match with an Accord V6 (somewhat evenly matched), which we got the better end of. This prompted a "whee" from Web...

Then we eased back home, parked the car, got out, unloaded our loot. Closed the garage door, and as I walked back in the house, cast a glance back at Ginger. It's still a car that I look back to when walking away.

Even the wife said over the weekend: "I've made a decision. I like my car. Let's keep it."

Cool.

Jr ///M5
12-19-2005, 09:11 PM
I remember that mail...that was when you were toying with the idea of buying the 318iS right?...close? ok, how close am I??? Bill, I can't remember what I had for supper last night....ha,ha...it was uh, ahh, naw, that wadn't it either..

I have been concerned about your well being in the Carolinas and couldn't tell if the ice storm had left you at the mercy of candlelight and fireplaces or even emergency generators. Sure hope you missed that action.

PS....love the pic of Web! How cool is that?

Jr

Kalevera
12-19-2005, 09:27 PM
A resounding ditto on this experience.

Fritz is sitting indoors with no head, and soon to be no driveline. The E30...well, it gets the job done.

best, whit

misfortune
12-19-2005, 09:37 PM
I saw a 318iS in the paper for just my price and I just couldn't bring myself to call the number. I really want another e34. Thanks for reminding me why

billb
12-20-2005, 04:31 AM
I remember that mail...that was when you were toying with the idea of buying the 318iS right?...close? ok, how close am I??? Bill, I can't remember what I had for supper last night....ha,ha...it was uh, ahh, naw, that wadn't it either..

I have been concerned about your well being in the Carolinas and couldn't tell if the ice storm had left you at the mercy of candlelight and fireplaces or even emergency generators. Sure hope you missed that action.

PS....love the pic of Web! How cool is that?

Jr
Hey there! Whoa, didn't know you were going under the knife! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. Yes, we're fine here in the eastern part of NC. Ice was west of Charlotte, so we didn't see anything but rain. Of course it's been cold enough here for my annual M42 oil leak to start again. One day I'm gonna just pour some RTV in the oil cap and let it find a home ;)

Hope you're all doing well, and stay warm and safe.

Best,

Jr ///M5
12-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Glad to hear you escaped the ice storm. Thanks for the health concerns. With not much to do for now, can't hardly get around, I can sit and type. So my new position for the next couple of days is "Post Whore"....move over Jeff Bidoli..:p

Didn't you just replace some gaskets on the front end of the 318iS? I just got finished replacing both front brake calipers on mine before surgery. Tried to salvage them last year, and they lasted another 9 months before they started leaking again. I have concerns about turning Aubrey loose in the 318iS. It makes me want another E34, something a little bigger that could shake off a deer if needed. Plus the fact that Lori doesn't really like driving it, (says it's too loud) (she's spoiled)...when her car is being serviced by Moi...
I did see a nice '95 in North Carolina, but the ad was pulled last night before I got to call on it. Oh well, there are a few out there, the search is all the fun!
Take care Bill,

Jr

billb
12-20-2005, 07:21 AM
Didn't you just replace some gaskets on the front end of the 318iS?

It almost looks like pan gaskets, or the o/f housing gasket again. Haven't crawled under it yet (ordering parts this week in preparation for some time off next week to look-see). Gotta get it ready for driver's school #2 next year ;) (hope Lainey's not reading this too...)

I have switched from 15W50 to 0W40, and that's about when the leaks began. I've just been too busy to get under it and look around. I'm sure it's something simple.

If I were buying a car for a 16-year old, I would look for a later 525 5-speed, and enroll them in Extreme Measures driving school for the weekend. Save the 535s for us!

Get better soon!