PDA

View Full Version : Bypass PCV line on M50 engine

ktteoh
12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
is it possible to disable the pcv line totally - what harm will it do to the engine mgmt etc

i really don't like the idea of the engine ingesting fumes from the crankcase into the intake - gumming etc

has anyone done this before ?

Jon K
12-18-2005, 06:54 PM
is it possible to disable the pcv line totally - what harm will it do to the engine mgmt etc

i really don't like the idea of the engine ingesting fumes from the crankcase into the intake - gumming etc

I have a small K&N breather filter on mine. Just be sure cap off the vacuum line @ the top of the valve cover (where the PCV comes out of) so you don't have a vacuum leak to the idle control valve.

ericcamaro
12-18-2005, 07:16 PM
can we get a diagram or some pics of this?? I dont like the idea of my engine sucking in all that sludge either.

Bill R.
12-18-2005, 08:09 PM
valuable function and actually extends the life of your motor. For one it scavenges acids and moisture which will attack the bearings and cylinder walls. It also helps to prevent oil sludging by helping the remove the contaminants that help sludge to form in the first place.

ktteoh
12-18-2005, 08:51 PM
I have a small K&N breather filter on mine. Just be sure cap off the vacuum line @ the top of the valve cover (where the PCV comes out of) so you don't have a vacuum leak to the idle control valve.

john k, could you send me some diagrams or pictures of your engine bay - i'm quite a newbie at the m50 engine.

many thanks ahead.

Jon K
12-18-2005, 08:53 PM
http://e34.digital7.com/Fall/3.jpg

The mini K&N vents to atmosphere. If you follow the breather line it goes up to the top of the valve cover. By default there is a vacuum line and a big crank case vent line... cap the vacuum line (the vacuum line itself goes to the idle control valve to draw fumes out) and cap the vacuum line nipple that the line was attached to with a vacuum cap

ktteoh
12-19-2005, 06:50 AM
jon k, i thought the icv hoses and the pcv hoses are separate but your description seems to imply that they are joined at some point (in a T junction?).

the picture is not very helpful - could you sketch a rough diagram like what folks did for the throttle body bypass diagram - that way i can trace the lines in my car and compare.

what size of spare hoses and clips (diameter) should i get ready ahead ?