PDA

View Full Version : Sirius radio in e34-any new info?

Russell
12-18-2005, 02:10 PM
When I did the BMW "Drive for the Cure" I drove several new BMWs with Sirius radios factory instlalled. Sounded great with a wide range of listening stations.

Now what is the current thinking for the e34? I really do not want to replace my factory head unit. As far as I see the only option is the FM modultor attachment that uses a FM radio station. TIA

Scott H
12-18-2005, 02:21 PM
I think the FM modulator is your only option

When I did the BMW "Drive for the Cure" I drove several new BMWs with Sirius radios factory instlalled. Sounded great with a wide range of listening stations.

Now what is the current thinking for the e34? I really do not want to replace my factory head unit. As far as I see the only option is the FM modultor attachment that uses a FM radio station. TIA

Torque
12-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I have a JVC mp3 headunit and it says it's 'Sirius ready' ... what exactly that means, I have no idea, but I guess it's ready.

Alan_525i
12-18-2005, 03:21 PM
I have a JVC mp3 headunit and it says it's 'Sirius ready' ... what exactly that means, I have no idea, but I guess it's ready.

It means that all it needs is the Sirius receiver and it can be controlled from the head unit. No FM modulator, no separate controls. Just needs what amounts to an antenna and output to a input on the head.

shanek
12-18-2005, 03:43 PM
I've got mine hooked up to the aux. on my headunit now but when I first got it I just used the FM modulator with the factory headunit. I tucked the power cord into where the ashtray used to be.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/ShaneKennedy/108_0871.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/ShaneKennedy/108_0869.jpg

brillantrot
12-18-2005, 06:10 PM
I have the Kenwood EZ700SR head unit. It has a Sirius tuner built in, so you don't have to worry about finding an area on the console to mount a receiver. I have the antenna situated in the corner of my dash, so I don't have the "rat tail" look on the roof of the car. I have no complaints about the EZ700SR, it's a great unit and was exactly what I wanted in Sirius: minimal changes to the interior of the car. Now, I know you don't want to replace your factory head unit, but take a look at the EZ700...you may like it. It illuminates in a red color, similar to our cars. It's very simple in design. Check out www.crutchfield.com for pictures.

rreimund
12-18-2005, 08:02 PM
I have the Kenwood EZ700SR head unit. It has a Sirius tuner built in, so you don't have to worry about finding an area on the console to mount a receiver. I have the antenna situated in the corner of my dash, so I don't have the "rat tail" look on the roof of the car. I have no complaints about the EZ700SR, it's a great unit and was exactly what I wanted in Sirius: minimal changes to the interior of the car. Now, I know you don't want to replace your factory head unit, but take a look at the EZ700...you may like it. It illuminates in a red color, similar to our cars. It's very simple in design. Check out www.crutchfield.com for pictures.

According to Crutchfield, the EZ700 is no longer available.

brodee
12-18-2005, 08:08 PM
I don't know about Sirius, but I use XM and bought an XM commander that is a universal sat tuner that goes inline on the antenna. It has a tuner unit that goes inside the dash and then the control piece on a long cord that can be mounted wherever you want. Much better than the other one I have with a modulator.

This all allows me to use the factory head unit and not change any wiring.

http://img.xmradio.com/images/commander/commander_pieces.jpg

Russell
12-19-2005, 05:54 AM
better sound quality?

brodee
12-19-2005, 06:10 AM
better sound quality?
Yes, much better. No interference since it's hard wired.