PDA

View Full Version : Cockolate mixture in my engine ...

grave77
12-18-2005, 05:36 AM
I don't want you guys telling me off about my high RPM now ... but I got the most common failure ... Cockolate mixture in the oil ... I dont know if its a cylinder crack or not .. but water is leaking into the engine ... there is no pressure in the water system ... so ... ?! 1- Head gasket? 2- head crack? 3- Cylinder crack?would a treatment powder fix the problem since there is no pressure in the water system?please advice ... thanks

Scott H
12-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Keep running it hard. By doing so you will steam clean your pistons! A much better alternative than soaking them for a week.

I don't want you guys telling me off about my high RPM now ... but I got the most common failure ... Cockolate mixture in the oil ... I dont know if its a cylinder crack or not .. but water is leaking into the engine ... there is no pressure in the water system ... so ... ?! 1- Head gasket? 2- head crack? 3- Cylinder crack?would a treatment powder fix the problem since there is no pressure in the water system?please advice ... thanks

willobmw
12-18-2005, 07:03 AM
I wont. You did get the mixture spelling right.

632 Regal
12-18-2005, 11:25 AM
I would guess its a head gasket, running like that can cause a lot of heat buildup by the leak causing a crack in the head/block. The only way to tell is pull the head and inspect very carefully, then have the head tested for cracks. Inspect the top of the block very carefully also. Pushing it hard like that with a weak gasket is probably what done it in.

grave77
12-19-2005, 12:07 AM
well ... I can give you some hints too, before this my engine used to heat up when it runs long on a stop ... I expected that the head gasket was not healthy ... more pressure casued it to snap. would this be true?

632 Regal
12-19-2005, 01:05 AM
yeah, the gaskets probably a mess. Mattering on how hot it might have got you may need to surface the head...Watch because if too much is taken off you need a thicker gasket to make up the difference.
Hopefully it was just a rotting water passage from someone not running cool blue for a part of the engines life.

Paul in NZ
12-19-2005, 01:12 AM
thats tough love......i like the new pic of your car

632 Regal
12-19-2005, 01:16 AM
lots nicer than the phone camera...I guess I have a couple more days to create his window stickers...lol I actually feel sorry for Barry but he seems to be made of money so I shouldnt.

grave77
12-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Gosh !! if I was made of money I would have made my self a superengine dude !!! ... I'm broke cuz of this ride ... if I was rich enough I would have bought the M5 engine with 6speed and swaped this shitty engine long time ago ... I'm considering doing the gasket change my self to save some bux also I might do some simple modifications mentioned in Brunos site .. but I need some more information about it ... I only understood that I need to make the curves and surface clean to have better flow ... i don't know if there are some other stuff to do ...

Thanks for your help ... and liking the new look ... too ...

grave77
12-19-2005, 02:55 AM

grave77
12-19-2005, 02:58 AM
what would this help mate?! I think now you like what has happened right :P

BigKriss
12-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Gosh !! if I was made of money I would have made my self a superengine dude !!! ... I'm broke cuz of this ride ... if I was rich enough I would have bought the M5 engine with 6speed and swaped this shitty engine long time ago ... I'm considering doing the gasket change my self to save some bux also I might do some simple modifications mentioned in Brunos site .. but I need some more information about it ... I only understood that I need to make the curves and surface clean to have better flow ... i don't know if there are some other stuff to do ...

Thanks for your help ... and liking the new look ... too ...

Hi Barry, about Bruno's stuff. (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/headgasket_M30.htm) You don't need to do any of the cylinder head mods, that just to make it flow better. If you where thinking of doing it, now would be a good time as the cylinder head is coming off anyway. Good luck with it mate. I'm under the impression that you benchmark the existing head (via flow rates) and then do the same after it's been ported to see if any benefit occured from the porting. take care

Scott H
12-19-2005, 09:30 AM
I bet you can do a WAY better job than the idiots did at BMW!!!!

Hi Barry, about Bruno's stuff. (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/headgasket_M30.htm) You don't need to do any of the cylinder head mods, that just to make it flow better. If you where thinking of doing it, now would be a good time as the cylinder head is coming off anyway. Good luck with it mate. I'm under the impression that you benchmark the existing head (via flow rates) and then do the same after it's been ported to see if any benefit occured from the porting. take care

Bill R.
12-19-2005, 09:42 AM
I bet you can do a WAY better job than the idiots did at BMW!!!!

grave77
12-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Jeff is not recommending any porting job at all ... as he had a long expereince in this ... I might just remove the carbon build up only ... still thinking ... but if I found a camshaft with good spring set .. I would do it for sure.

grave77
12-20-2005, 12:13 AM
have you expereinced **** with them before ?? lemme know if u did so ...

JonE
12-20-2005, 01:41 PM
After you get your head back together check the function of your fan clutch. This could be why you were heating up while idling...leading to head gasket failure in the first place.

Scott H
12-20-2005, 02:03 PM
are clogged with so much dirt that air cannot get through it at low speeds.

Exhibit A:
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/shersted/Radiator.jpg

After you get your head back together check the function of your fan clutch. This could be why you were heating up while idling...leading to head gasket failure in the first place.

632 Regal
12-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Scott is that your Microfilter?

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Scott is that your Microfilter?

Nope

632 Regal
12-20-2005, 04:48 PM
who is Dacoyote?

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 04:50 PM
who is Dacoyote?

Who is God?

632 Regal
12-20-2005, 04:52 PM
632 Regal is a post whore

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 04:53 PM
632 Regal is a post whore

Most Worthless Post ever... everyone already knew that....

632 Regal
12-20-2005, 04:54 PM
at this rate your gonna catch up to me in a month!

dacoyote
12-20-2005, 04:56 PM
at this rate your gonna catch up to me in a month!

Not if we keep on doing 1 to 1.....

grave77
12-21-2005, 05:00 AM
the fan clutch is ok .. I checked it first ... the problem is OR was due to lack of circulation ... as now its no longer heating up ... engine runs cooler than before ... that might show for sure that there was a closure made by the head gasket before and now it opened up but mixing with the oil ...

grave77
12-21-2005, 05:09 AM
my radiator is almost less than 6 monthes old .. and this problem was with the old radiator too ... it got better with the new one ... by the way I always wash it from the inside to out to let this mess go off ... and my old radiator was clean from the front ...

grave77
12-21-2005, 05:10 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOL you got it right Jeff !!!

grave77
12-21-2005, 05:12 AM
but he's there when you need help at the worst cercumstances !!

632 Regal
12-21-2005, 07:22 AM
dont be driving it with water mixing in the oil or you will wear everything out in short order!!!

dammit you know better Barry!

grave77
12-21-2005, 01:12 PM
oh God ... driving ur car is like drugs ... once u get addicted u can't stop ... now I just need to get the harness ready for the big thing ... gasket, screws, injector seals, maybe new springs for the valves too. I just need some clear pics about the timming setting for M30, as Bently pix suck.