PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Wire-Can you Tap in from the Trunk

Jeff C
03-10-2004, 02:23 AM
Am looking at installing a RF CD changer, and I was wondering if there is a way to tap into the antenna wire from the trunk of the car - rather then running the feed all the way to the front and tapping in just before the antenna goes into the head unit. Any ideas? Is there a junction from the rear window to the wiring loom - Anyone done this before?

thanks

jeff

WarrenBrown
03-10-2004, 06:57 AM
There is an antenna amplifier and diversity module in the drivers side rear C pillar, behind the rear interior light. You might be able to do something there.

Warren
91 318is
95 525iT

George M
03-10-2004, 08:43 AM
as Warren correctly stated...you have two patch in's behind the C-pillar. Shouldn't have to change the amplified power to the module, but maybe able to splice in another antenna wire co-ax...rig up a splitter. Before I would go to the trouble however, I would see whether you absolutely need an antenna co-ax into your RF CD changer. Most, in particular those RF CD changers that don't have radio capablity, but just work off a RF signal for control of CD operation, shouldn't have to tap into the main radio antenna.
Good Luck,
George

Jeff C
03-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys, my audio guy suggested MP3/CD changer that patches into the antenna - allows for higher quality sound then just through RF transmission.

Jeff