PDA

View Full Version : 540iA vs 540i 6spd

YaoNYC
12-17-2005, 04:19 PM
hi all
how much slower is a 540iA with dinan engine and auto tranny chip vs. the 540i 6 spd?

thanks!

mattyb
12-17-2005, 04:59 PM
why, which do you have?

John in CT
12-17-2005, 05:41 PM
In my long-ago youth there was a running debate on the subject, the autobox shifts very very quickly, but eats up a few ponies too. Driving the 6 speed like you stole it would yield one set of acceleration figures, easy on that expensive clutch and gearbox and you have another set of figures. These are fast cars by the standards of ten years ago, don't try to run with today's fast cars IMHO.

Paul in NZ
12-17-2005, 06:06 PM
for me a manual is more about the involvement AND the fact if i want to be in second i will be,uphill or down .....i strive for every shift to be perfect,and dont often acheive it!If you do a lot of city driving i would go for the auto

Derek A.
12-17-2005, 06:08 PM
slower as in drag strip or laps around a track - big difference !

YaoNYC
12-17-2005, 06:21 PM
why, which do you have?

i dont have one yet.
been looking for one for a little while :)

you enjoying yours?

YaoNYC
12-17-2005, 06:22 PM
In my long-ago youth there was a running debate on the subject, the autobox shifts very very quickly, but eats up a few ponies too. Driving the 6 speed like you stole it would yield one set of acceleration figures, easy on that expensive clutch and gearbox and you have another set of figures. These are fast cars by the standards of ten years ago, don't try to run with today's fast cars IMHO.

thanks for the info.
yes, back in the day they were considered extra fast, however by todays standards i still think its decently quick. Standard sport sedans are still around the 300hp range so its not far off.

YaoNYC
12-17-2005, 06:23 PM
for me a manual is more about the involvement AND the fact if i want to be in second i will be,uphill or down .....i strive for every shift to be perfect,and dont often acheive it!If you do a lot of city driving i would go for the auto

that is a good point. however for me, traffic is a strong consideration to take into account. i was just wondering how much slower the automatic would feel.

YaoNYC
12-17-2005, 06:24 PM
slower as in drag strip or laps around a track - big difference !

i was just referring to 1/4 mile, 0-60 and highway passing acceleration.

Dan in NZ
12-17-2005, 06:30 PM
In normal driving you'd hardly notice any difference. At full throttle on a race track, if you're a professional driver, you'd find the auto a tad slower. Technically the auto is about 0.5-1 second slower from 0-60 mph, but that's assuming the 6-speed has had the clutch dropped at about 3000rpm, run out to the rev limiter and slammed into second, which you wont be doing every time you drive it if you love your car. More about personal preference really...

Gayle
12-17-2005, 07:17 PM
I think either will feel fast enough for you. If 6 months ago I had known what I know now, I would have looked seriously at 540s. I saw your post of interest for the one that is the classified ads. Since you appear to be in the market here are some links of interest for you.

0-60 times of some years of 540s (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16598&highlight=540)

a 540 lovefest by 540 owners on this board (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14570&highlight=540)

Our member Greg's 540 appearing in an Australian Soap Opera (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16367&highlight=soapie)

On this site, check out the 4th clip down with the 540iA with the Dinan chip
sound clips of various ss exhausts on 540 without resonator (http://www.dinan540.com/MEDIA/media.html)

mattyb
12-17-2005, 08:06 PM
if theres traffic involved its gotta be an auto i think. ive never felt that it was deprived or lacking. i do city and freeway mostdays. in the city its never lacking when u want to change lanes quick and the grunt is always there. As for the freeway the auto is always happy to give what u want when u want it. Having driven 2 hours this morning after putting in a few new bits on the freeway, it was more than comfortable to be overtaking 20 cars uphill at 120k in a 100kkm zone with heaps of power in reserve. I do wish however to have one of each. ive had the auto for two years and the auto gives awesome results but id love to have a 6 speed version ,just for fun, in the shed cause im sure it would be a ball tearer. 6 speeds seem to go for a couple of grand more and are a rare item here in oz. note: dont but one if ur ever going to complain about fuel consumption. when they cop a hiding they chew the juice, u cant expect 8 injected cylinders to run on bloody fairy bread, no matter how well tuned. im not gentle with mine and I do about $200 au a week on fuel in a bad week, but that never stops me from putting my foot down when I need to. I think as an investment that the 6 speed will give a better return over 10 years if kept in immaculate condition, thats what i tell the wife anyway but as an excuse to get one i think im pushin it uphill hard!

Gayle
12-17-2005, 08:21 PM
I do about $200 au a week on fuel in a bad week, but that never stops me from putting my foot down when I need to.

Mattyb--Tell him how many zillion miles you drive a week before he has heart failure over that $200 figure.

mattyb
12-17-2005, 09:26 PM
ah yes. good point my friend. it would be about 1000km. of which 6-700 would be freeway at 130k/ph and the rest city traffic(sydney). so not to bad really. i guess if i tried really hard I could be gentle on the pedal and reduce the consumption by about 30 percent. but like today when ur uphill and some wanker in a 2000 merc amg55 pulls out in front of u while overtaking a heap of cars u want him to know to get the fk back in his lane and let u get up there. and not just canter up there. let him know that if he cant use his $200,000 properly move over and enjoy the view of the rear of the 540 tearing away with out effort up the hill. Im not a maniac but the next 10k's of that road is single lane through the mountains and its a pain in the ass to be sittin behind all them cars driving at 80 in a 100 zone. plus it was hot and sunny and all the good things about driving in oz on a sunday morning in the country side with an overtaking lane just where u need it!!!! happy ur back G

emw525E34
12-17-2005, 09:51 PM
I redline my BMWs everytime be it the auto or the manual. Its just the enoyment I expect and gets out of the car. Love the cars and took care of it meticulously. These engines are build strong and solid so why be a wuss about it.

YaoNYC
12-17-2005, 10:00 PM
In normal driving you'd hardly notice any difference. At full throttle on a race track, if you're a professional driver, you'd find the auto a tad slower. Technically the auto is about 0.5-1 second slower from 0-60 mph, but that's assuming the 6-speed has had the clutch dropped at about 3000rpm, run out to the rev limiter and slammed into second, which you wont be doing every time you drive it if you love your car. More about personal preference really...

yes...for stick, you sure have to be an EXCELLENT driver to make those fast times..agreed! thanks!

Paul in NZ
12-18-2005, 12:03 AM
the 540 still has serious power and serious tourque...period