PDA

View Full Version : fan blower/sword question

nuwde
12-17-2005, 01:52 PM
hey guys, it's winter time here and my windshield gets really frosty. my fan settings all seem to work except there is not much air coming from the vents. if i put my fan on max (4) and turn the heat way up and make all the air blow out of the windshield vents, it takes a good 25 minutes to clear up the window very slowly. i can feel the heat near the vents and some air coming out, but just not enough. i don't think it is supposed to take so long to defrost. i've tried turning my A/C on too and it helps a little, but does not increase the amount of air coming out.

i've tried searching and read a bit, but don't fully understand the sword or maybe this isn't related to that. any ideas please??

thanks a lot!
edwin

Javier
12-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Javier

632 Regal
12-17-2005, 02:39 PM
ahah! Does it blow strong through the center vents? if so you have enough to clear the winshield...however a common problem with these cars is leaky heater cores, which means you are pumping warm moist ait onto your window. (how do I know this lol) What I finally figured out is if you put the AC on while trying to defrost them 25 minutes will turn into 1-2 minutes.

Let me know if this works for you also.

nuwde
12-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Javier

how to check the microfilter, javier? what should i be aware of?

edwin

nuwde
12-17-2005, 02:44 PM
ahah! Does it blow strong through the center vents? if so you have enough to clear the winshield...however a common problem with these cars is leaky heater cores, which means you are pumping warm moist ait onto your window. (how do I know this lol) What I finally figured out is if you put the AC on while trying to defrost them 25 minutes will turn into 1-2 minutes.

Let me know if this works for you also.

still not very strong. it's medium at best. the A/C improves a little, but definitely does not clear it in under 2 minutes. thanks for the suggestion...any more to try?? :)

edwin

Javier
12-17-2005, 02:49 PM
may be this link will help.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12623

Javier

632 Regal
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
you most likly need to replace the microfilter than, you will have to take the glove box out and take off a panel, loosen a screw and replace the filter. I can do mine in under 5 minutes. Do a search for "microfilter" there used to be a ton of photos on this operation.

edit: Unless you want to change the heatercore at the same time ;)

nuwde
12-17-2005, 08:16 PM
wow, i've never had that changed! thanks for the instructions and the links. it will be quite interesting to see what I uncover in there :)

best place to buy microfilter? how much? i will check bavauto. thanks so much guys!

edwin

ps 5 mins?? the pics make it look like at least 30 mins. hehe

Javier
12-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Posted procedure on Shogun's link is for series 7, as yours is a 5, you won't have a sliding glove box. Just remove it. The picture shows how rear glove box fasteners work. The rest you will figure out.

Also, in 1992 you shouldn't have a sword, so pictures 11, 12 and 13 will not apply. Regarding the yellow and blue connector to A/C control module, I do not disconnect them, but slide out the module. It has some sort of a latch to hold it in place, you have to squeeze it to release.

Javier

shogun
12-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Here is a microfilter info for the E34 series
http://www.e38.org/e32/microfilter%20change.pdf