PDA

View Full Version : general module repair

duckloads
12-16-2005, 07:48 PM
For the past few weeks I have lost power door locks, windows, wipers, sunroof, etc. when the ambient temperature has dropped into the 30's. This morning I had a chance to find out why. I followed the procedure written by Javier(?) and all was well with the grounds and power at the fuses, relays and modules under the rear seat.

I took the general module out of its case and warmed the board with a hairdryer. When I reinstalled it everything worked fine. How do I diagnose what solder joints might be cracked in order to repair it?

Thanks,
Chris

duckloads
12-17-2005, 07:38 AM
oops.......car is a

1991 535i

Bill R.
12-17-2005, 08:23 AM
solder joints indicated in this pic? Thats what your looking for. any small lines like that usually a complete circle constitute a cracked joint, they are most likely on areas where the relay's are joined to the board since a relay actually shakes and vibrates when actuated which tends to make the crappy solder joints crack http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/fuelpumprelaycracks%20copy.jpg

For the past few weeks I have lost power door locks, windows, wipers, sunroof, etc. when the ambient temperature has dropped into the 30's. This morning I had a chance to find out why. I followed the procedure written by Javier(?) and all was well with the grounds and power at the fuses, relays and modules under the rear seat.

I took the general module out of its case and warmed the board with a hairdryer. When I reinstalled it everything worked fine. How do I diagnose what solder joints might be cracked in order to repair it?

Thanks,
Chris