PDA

View Full Version : My 535i healed itself...Hallelujah!

Robert K
03-09-2004, 10:49 PM
I was driving my 1991 535i this past Sunday when I got the "brake circuit failure" message. I got home and checked the brake lights and sure enough, none of them worked. So, I hauled out a wiring diagram to see what was in the circuit. I checked all the fuses and they were all fine. Then I checked the brake light bulbs and they were all fine. Buttoned everything up and figured the brake light switch had bit the dust. So, I ordered one up from The BMW Store in Cincinnati, which should arrive tomorrow morning. Anyway, went out to move the car out of the garage tonight to do a little cleaning and the darn brakes lights were working! No message either. I suppose one of the bulbs must not have been making good contact or something. Anyway, I can drive the car now. I just have a $21.00 switch on the way that I won't need. Arg!

P.S. If any of you live in the midwest, The BMW Store in Cincinnati has a wonderful parts department that does mail order. I live in western Kentucky and typically get my parts via UPS the next day. Plus, if you're a BMWCCA member, they give an additional discount on their already competitive prices. The phone number is 800-543-1649 and you should ask for James in parts. He can find any part you need and he's great to work with.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Steve Walker
03-10-2004, 08:22 AM
I was driving my 1991 535i this past Sunday when I got the "brake circuit failure" message. I got home and checked the brake lights and sure enough, none of them worked. So, I hauled out a wiring diagram to see what was in the circuit. I checked all the fuses and they were all fine. Then I checked the brake light bulbs and they were all fine. Buttoned everything up and figured the brake light switch had bit the dust. So, I ordered one up from The BMW Store in Cincinnati, which should arrive tomorrow morning. Anyway, went out to move the car out of the garage tonight to do a little cleaning and the darn brakes lights were working! No message either. I suppose one of the bulbs must not have been making good contact or something. Anyway, I can drive the car now. I just have a $21.00 switch on the way that I won't need. Arg!

P.S. If any of you live in the midwest, The BMW Store in Cincinnati has a wonderful parts department that does mail order. I live in western Kentucky and typically get my parts via UPS the next day. Plus, if you're a BMWCCA member, they give an additional discount on their already competitive prices. The phone number is 800-543-1649 and you should ask for James in parts. He can find any part you need and he's great to work with.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

It is worth changing the BLS they play up alot with spoof readings to the OBC fault system. And the other big killer is broken wiring looms to the tail lights on the NSR hinge as it approaches the body work. (looking up into the boot)

Turn all the lights on etc and then play with the boot wiring harness - very strange things can happen!

Odd thing with the brake light switch is that it can fail and the brake lights still work .... Clever Germans :)

Steve