PDA

View Full Version : Have we tackled seat back problems yet?

GJPinAU
12-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi guys, just bought an E30 318is for the Boss. Going over the car at the moment finding all the things I need to repair. The first is the back of the drivers seat won't come forward enough and is tending to twist when you try to pull it forward - I would believe it is because you use the side of the seat to get out of the car. Big problem for wife as she has "ducks disease" and can't reach the steering wheel properly. ;)

This is great, an early xmas present - another car to work on!:D

billb
12-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi guys, just bought an E30 318is for the Boss. Going over the car at the moment finding all the things I need to repair. The first is the back of the drivers seat won't come forward enough and is tending to twist when you try to pull it forward - I would believe it is because you use the side of the seat to get out of the car. Big problem for wife as she has "ducks disease" and can't reach the steering wheel properly. ;)

This is great, an early xmas present - another car to work on!:D

You can see the whole deal by pulling off the back (2 screws, then pull out then down (must remove the tilt lever first). You've probably got a broken cable. Likely also a broken frame if it's twisting. Loads easier than working on the E34.

You'll LOVE the M42. Simple and fun to wring out!

GJPinAU
12-18-2005, 12:09 AM
You can see the whole deal by pulling off the back (2 screws, then pull out then down (must remove the tilt lever first). You've probably got a broken cable. Likely also a broken frame if it's twisting. Loads easier than working on the E34.

You'll LOVE the M42. Simple and fun to wring out!
Thanks Bill

The car goes into the shop on Tuesday to have the rear crossmember bushs replaced, hopefully that will stop it from wandering in the back end as much and I'm putting a set of 16" BBS wheels on this week, it currently has unknown brand 17s on it with incorrect offset, then we'll see what it can do:D

shogun
12-18-2005, 06:42 PM
go to my website below, there is a link to Gale's page where he describes the repair of the seat back twist on E34 and E32.
Easy job, I did it in less than 30 minutes.

GJPinAU
12-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Likely also a broken frame if it's twisting.
Guess which part was right!
Had to buy a seat today, I am taking a crash course in upholstery as it has been refurbished inside but not OEM:p
I'll get some pics when finished.
cheers, Greg