PDA

View Full Version : Strange speaker problem ...

NielsGalan
12-16-2005, 04:47 PM
The rear left speaker is dead most of the time. I can bring it back to life by cranking the volume um quite a bit. As if the amount of signal through the wires unclogs something ...

This problem has been with two different head units (1 older cassette player and 1 new Pioneer CD player), so the head unit is ruled out.

Does this make sense to anyone?

BMWDriver
12-16-2005, 05:04 PM
I've had a similar problem, but it turned out to be the head unit in my case. Could be a condensor problem with the amp. Lots of amps out there on e-bay. Also some guys here have one to spare.

I have doubts about it being the wires. Otherwise you would get nothing at all from the speaker I should think.

Make sure it's completely dead when it does not play : balance and fade to your speaker when it's dead as you say, but see if anything comes out at all. If something does, even faintly, then there's a good chance it's nothing to do with the wires.

Have fun !

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-16-2005, 06:31 PM
The rear left speaker is dead most of the time. I can bring it back to life by cranking the volume um quite a bit. As if the amount of signal through the wires unclogs something ...

This problem has been with two different head units (1 older cassette player and 1 new Pioneer CD player), so the head unit is ruled out.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Two different head units driving the same stock amp? If so, likely a fractured solder joint on this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/stereo%20stuff/06insideamp.jpg

The power amp is the section at the top. Maybe a re-flow solder job just like LKM repairs. Or, a dirty contact on the pin headers connecting it to the large PCB.

NielsGalan
12-17-2005, 04:12 AM
Is there a seperate power amp in there?? I didn't think there was anything else between the head unit and the speakers??

Jr ///M5
12-17-2005, 04:22 AM
I've repaired my daughters Mercedes Benz radio by opening it up and checking the pre-amp circuit board. With a magnifying glass you could see that the capacitors on the board had leaked out the fluid and blown. I didn't have small enough soldering tools to fix it and took it to an electronics repair shop. They replaced the caps and it's been fine ever since. BTW, to have the radio rebuilt was $250....the caps were .08 cents each.

BMWDriver
12-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Is there a seperate power amp in there?? I didn't think there was anything else between the head unit and the speakers??

Yeah, they hid it in the trunk. Take out the trim, on the left side (driver's side) then you'll se a metal plate with holes. It's on the other side of it, and it's black. So check it out in good light.

It might be cheaper to buy a used amp than to have it fixed. Your choice. But you have to make sure what the problem is. Although there is a very good chance the wires are not to blame, nor the speaker. This sort of weird problem is most likely electronic.

Capacitors do fail and make for weird problems. And it's not always obvious which is at fault. And it could also be a soldering problem. Are you good with a soldering iron ?

Good luck !