PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Removal Problem

av8r
12-16-2005, 10:39 AM
While driving to worj this am the wp decided to go south. The belt is gone the fan blade came off and it almost reached the red zone.
So i have a new pump kit, hoses, gaskets and other sundry items coming in tommorrow.
I started to take everything off and cant seem to get to the bolt at the bottom whihc sits behind the pulley.
I am at a loss on how to get to this bolt.
Any ideas, pics or links to a site would be very much appreciated.
Of course my boss wants it out of the lot asap and i need it to get back and forth to work.
Thanks in advance.
Chris

winfred
12-16-2005, 10:43 AM
year/model????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????

av8r
12-16-2005, 10:50 AM
its a 95 530i m60 (v8)
sorry for not putting this in

tim
12-16-2005, 11:28 AM
On the 540 you have to remove the vibration damper sprocket thingee. It's a bitch with no clearance for my impact wrench unless I take off the rad. I don't know if its the same deal on the 530.

632 Regal
12-16-2005, 11:33 AM
I got to all the bolts on mine, one was a PITA though, your talking about the big pully attached to the crank right?

After you get all them out try not to pull the tube out that runs under the intake manifold and to the back of the pump.

av8r
12-16-2005, 11:35 AM
yeah the one thats behind the crank pulley.
I guess an extra long wrench might work.
I was hoping not to have to pull off that pulley.
How do you keep from removing the tubes?
Do the tubes slip onto the pump?

632 Regal
12-16-2005, 11:39 AM
yes the tube has an O ring in the pump and also at the rear of the engine. I used a vice grip to help hold it back, it's not a good time replacing the rear O ring unless you pull the intake off.

I remember one bolt that took longer than the whole project, was like 1/32 of a turn at a time, really frustrating.

av8r
12-16-2005, 11:47 AM
I guess that would be the one I guess.
Thanks for the reply.

tim
12-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Take the damper thing off and it's easy. Wait until you try to put it back together and get those tubes lined up at the same time. You can get the damper off without removing the rad if you go from underneath with a long handled socket wrench to give you some leverage and break the bolts holding it on. Pull it around each time so the one you are breaking is on the bottom. watch your knuckles!