PDA

View Full Version : Awsome - I soldered my LKM

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-16-2005, 10:23 AM
I love you guys, and especially Bruno with e34.net

My headlights were turning off randomly, about every time I'd start driving the car. They would turn off for about 30 seconds, then turn right back on. Looking at the LKM it was hard to see that the soldering joints had problems, but look at this pic, it's plain as day when looked at through the optical lens of my camera on "closeup" mode.

http://www.bimmer.info/ed/lkm.JPG

Really, with the naked eye, you couldn't see the cracks.

632 Regal
12-16-2005, 11:36 AM
looks like it got hot all over the place! Thats a nice closeup of it too.

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Could using HID headlights, or higher wattage headlights, cause this?

Jr ///M5
12-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Yup, solder is an alloy. When subjected to higher temperatures the alloy changes and melting points are changed. Looks like the printed circuit is cooking the connections and popping the old flowed solder. This is something that happens over a long period of time and constant up and down temperature changes. The LKM solder joints are no exception.

What wattage bulbs are you running in those headlights? It does look like it is overheating.

Merry Christmas to you and yours ed, did you get the key problem solved yet?

How close are you to Glenview?

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Glenview is not too far South from me. Why, you going to be there any time soon?

Well, I have one HID headlight, and one 65 watt headlight. I'm not sure you remember, I'm the crazy guy the used one HID on the Low Beam side, and the other on the High Beam. This way I get no error message, and I get a high beam HID that's bright as heck. I'm also easy to recognise coming at you on the street. lol

And I still can't get the tumbler out, but the problem of me not being able to turn the key to start the car has not reoccured.

And back at you, happy holidays JR.

Yup, solder is an alloy. When subjected to higher temperatures the alloy changes and melting points are changed. Looks like the printed circuit is cooking the connections and popping the old flowed solder. This is something that happens over a long period of time and constant up and down temperature changes. The LKM solder joints are no exception.

What wattage bulbs are you running in those headlights? It does look like it is overheating.

Merry Christmas to you and yours ed, did you get the key problem solved yet?

How close are you to Glenview?

632 Regal
12-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Huh???
I have one HID headlight, and one 65 watt headlight. I'm not sure you remember, I'm the crazy guy the used one HID on the Low Beam side, and the other on the High Beam. This way I get no error message, (I do not remember this one at all!)

Huh???
And I still can't get the tumbler out, but the problem of me not being able to turn the key to start the car has not reoccured. (so it released and is now working properly? If so it might be that broken pin deal that was mentioned....just a matter of time)

Jr ///M5
12-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Saw a decent looking '92 535 in Silver on Light Silver Gray leather in that area. Might drive up in a couple of weeks and take a look. Maybe drop in and see Scott and Jill. Figured I would stop by the dealership and you and I would take that new M5 out for a spin...;)

heh, heh, now I remember the headlight story...:)
Glad to hear the key problem is sorted out for now anyway.
Say hey to Sharon for me! I'll give a shout before I come up.

Jr

Glenview is not too far South from me. Why, you going to be there any time soon?

Well, I have one HID headlight, and one 65 watt headlight. I'm not sure you remember, I'm the crazy guy the used one HID on the Low Beam side, and the other on the High Beam. This way I get no error message, and I get a high beam HID that's bright as heck. I'm also easy to recognise coming at you on the street. lol

And I still can't get the tumbler out, but the problem of me not being able to turn the key to start the car has not reoccured.

And back at you, happy holidays JR.

632 Regal
12-16-2005, 06:03 PM
how has your boy healed JR? hope it is good, I do remember that...

Jr ///M5
12-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks for asking Jeff, he's mended very well. He says he can tell if it's going to rain...=) It's been almost a year now. Can you believe how time flies?

With a learner's permit in his pocket he has a few more hours to go before he takes his test at the end of Febuary. Like anything else, it takes a lot of practice, and patience on my part..

All the best to you and Junior this season and for the coming New Year.

Jr

winfred
12-16-2005, 07:16 PM
hids should use less power then a regular bulb, i beleave the problem stems from the crap solder used on modern bmw components, anything on a board passing more then a few amps is subject to cracking, i do a ton of soldering i could almost buy solder and flux in bulk. the best lkm's are the later clam shell cased units they don't **** up, the case splits in half and is a shiney black instead of that dull black

Brandon J
12-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Saw a decent looking '92 535 in Silver on Light Silver Gray leather in that area. Might drive up in a couple of weeks and take a look. Maybe drop in and see Scott and Jill. Figured I would stop by the dealership and you and I would take that new M5 out for a spin...;)

heh, heh, now I remember the headlight story...:)
Glad to hear the key problem is sorted out for now anyway.
Say hey to Sharon for me! I'll give a shout before I come up.

Jr

Jr,

I work in Glenview. If you want me to pass by and take a look at the car, let me know. Just shoot me an e-mail.