PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Broken Dual Mass Flywheel

Oldgreene34
12-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi Guys,

I am building myself a new solid engine. Forged JE 8.5:1 pistons, ARP fasteners everywhere possible, a crank scraper, metal head gasket and the entire rotating assembly balanced to race specs!

The plan is to up my boost into to just south of 20 psi range and make a solid dependable 375 to 400 at the wheels.

The flywheel is going to be a lightened e28 unit from a 533 ( lighter to start with ). But the ring gears are not same as for our cars.

So, if anyone has a dual mass they have replaced, I have good home for the ring gear off of the thing.

Thanks for your assistance,
Dave

GS535i
12-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Could be incorrect, but I understood the E28 535 flywheel was a direct bolt-on for the E34 535( with the matching disc and pressure plate). The 533 flywheel must be different again??

Oldgreene34
12-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Correct, direct bolt-in. The but is that the either the ring gear or starter needs to be changed as the pitch of the teeth is a tine bit different. This is the second time I have done the swap and laying the two gears on top of each other you can see a slight difference. Anyway it seems easier to me to change the gear than buy a starter..

Thanks,
Dave

Martin in Bellevue
12-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Your starter may be done. The e34 m30 starter is used on the e28's as a smaller, lighter upgrade.

Oldgreene34
12-16-2005, 03:29 PM
I think the starter will work, the gears are just a little different, so I am looking for somebody who has removed a broken dual mass and has not yet pitched it too far away to find.

My e34 M30 starter is almost new and working great on the current pooched engine, which has a e28 flywheel with a strengthened e28 M5 clutch and e34 ring gear.

Anybody have a flywheel in the back of the garage?

Cheers,
Dave

Jeff N.
12-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Jeff

I think the starter will work, the gears are just a little different, so I am looking for somebody who has removed a broken dual mass and has not yet pitched it too far away to find.

My e34 M30 starter is almost new and working great on the current pooched engine, which has a e28 flywheel with a strengthened e28 M5 clutch and e34 ring gear.

Anybody have a flywheel in the back of the garage?

Cheers,
Dave