PDA

View Full Version : Comparison: 1992 535i vs. 1994 Lexus 300 GS

MikeM
03-09-2004, 02:41 PM
I am considering buying a well maintained 1992 535i automatic w/118,000 mi. and clean OR a 94 Lexus 300 GS with 98,000 mi also very immaculate. The Lexus seem smoother and quieter and has a cool dual exhaust. But the 535i, which has a chip (JC) has a kind of great raw power.
Guys give me your impressions of both cars and the longterm ownership/maintenance advantages.

Thanks
Mike

Bill H.
03-09-2004, 04:01 PM
buy the Lexus.

Jeff C
03-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Likely have less problems with Lexus but would think the bimmer is more fun to drive. Long term lexus less costly but bimmer more fun to drive :)
jeff

91 535ia 205000Kms
99 subaru legacy GT (no soul - great in corners unless there was a bump - bimmer would eat up the bump and go - subaru would be thrown all over) - sold
02 honda odyssey (no comment)

Warren N.CA
03-09-2004, 04:15 PM
likely you will not consider the Lexus.

I am considering buying a well maintained 1992 535i automatic w/118,000 mi. and clean OR a 94 Lexus 300 GS with 98,000 mi also very immaculate. The Lexus seem smoother and quieter and has a cool dual exhaust. But the 535i, which has a chip (JC) has a kind of great raw power.
Guys give me your impressions of both cars and the longterm ownership/maintenance advantages.

Thanks
Mike

jplacson
03-09-2004, 04:22 PM
No one ever remembers a Lexus ;)

Kidding aside... Jap cars are really lower maintenance cars. But they don't really have that much character.

I personally feel like a Bimmer is something to EXPERIENCE not just own.

It would really depend on your reasons for buying a car. If practicality were #1 on everyone's list, we'd all be driving 1.5 liter diesel engined mini-vans with 25 airbags no on-board computers, and a top speed of 55mph, with a 0-60 of 18 seconds.

Final note... Japanese cars are cheap and easy to maintain. That's why I also have a very old Nissan Sentra (Sunny in NA I think) for when my Bimmer goes into the shop.

Phil M
03-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I've always liked the GS line of Lexus'. I considered one when I was first shopping for my car. But I agree with Warren when he says that if you find a 535iM, you will not want the Lexus. The E34 is easily more expensive in the long run but I (and everyone else here) surely believes it to be well worth it. Lexus GS's are nice, but BMW E34's are timeless. I just like to know that BMW's are unique as in like there is no 'cheaper' version, like Toyota to Lexus. Ya know what im sayin?

G Feller
03-09-2004, 05:42 PM
We're mostly not going to tell you to go for the Lexus for the obvious reasons. Apparently you have specific examples of each you are considering, so a 5-speed is apparently not in the cards for you. Without knowing the mechanical history of the 535 in question, at that mileage the transmission is likely to become an expensive concern before long. Less likely this would be true of the Lexus, in my opinion.

But I would far rather look at the E34 body in my garage day after day, not to mention caress and clean its nether regions, upgrade its hardward, etc. than a first-generation GS.

If you want sport and style, BMW.
If you want dependability and ? then Lexus.

Thanks
Mike

jplacson
03-09-2004, 07:31 PM
There's no such thing as an old BMW, only a classic one. I don't think the same can be said about the Lexus.

Bill in MA
03-09-2004, 07:43 PM
The BMW has a classic, handsome athletic look with the performance to match. The Lex is the standard swoopy blah-mobile. No doubt it's more reliable, but like Jeff said, it has no soul!

Just my worthless $0.02

Bill
92 535i

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-09-2004, 07:47 PM
I agree, Bimmers never ever die. There's always some nut out there (me) who will pamper and take care of it until that last bit of metal oxidizes and it disappears altogether! Even then, at least the aluminum parts will likely make their way into another bimmer.

Martin in Bellevue
03-09-2004, 09:33 PM

Thanks
Mike

If you're looking to create a sporty straight 6 cylinder sedan, this might be a relatively cheap modification. It would be worth some research. Gotta believe it has been done.

deathray
03-10-2004, 11:09 AM
If you're looking to create a sporty straight 6 cylinder sedan, this might be a relatively cheap modification. It would be worth some research. Gotta believe it has been done.

I know that you can drop a 2jz twin turbo supra motor into an IS300 without much difficulty. not sure about the GS series though. but hey anything can be done with proper application of air chisel and welder......

MikeV
03-10-2004, 11:34 AM
No recommendation here, but....

Take a GS300, tighten the suspension up a bit, tune the engine a bit, you've got a very cool car.
But you don't have an e34.

Warren N.CA
03-10-2004, 04:19 PM
:)

I agree, Bimmers never ever die. There's always some nut out there (me) who will pamper and take care of it until that last bit of metal oxidizes and it disappears altogether! Even then, at least the aluminum parts will likely make their way into another bimmer.

Unregistered
03-10-2004, 04:43 PM
I've always liked the GS line of Lexus'. I considered one when I was first shopping for my car. But I agree with Warren when he says that if you find a 535iM, you will not want the Lexus. The E34 is easily more expensive in the long run but I (and everyone else here) surely believes it to be well worth it. Lexus GS's are nice, but BMW E34's are timeless. I just like to know that BMW's are unique as in like there is no 'cheaper' version, like Toyota to Lexus. Ya know what im sayin?