PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size on 16"

vader1
12-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Hi there
What is the correct (best) tyre size for a 16" rim?
Where can I get a certification that I can change the rim from the original 15"
I am not from US so it is not as liberate... I think I need a certification from BMW. Did some body already do it?

TNX

Jimbo
12-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi there
What is the correct (best) tyre size for a 16" rim?
Where can I get a certification that I can change the rim from the original 15"
I am not from US so it is not as liberate... I think I need a certification from BMW. Did some body already do it?

TNX

225/55 R16 should maintain the stock tire diameter (no adverse effects on speedo, gearing...), assuming you have 225/60 R15's now. I am in the USA, so I dont know about certification, but I think it would help to know what country you are in.

wjbell
12-15-2005, 08:24 AM
This is a handy little tool that will give you the correct overall diameter yu need:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tiger
12-15-2005, 09:55 AM
225-50R16 is also acceptable.

vader1
12-15-2005, 02:31 PM
225/55 R16 should maintain the stock tire diameter (no adverse effects on speedo, gearing...), assuming you have 225/60 R15's now. I am in the USA, so I dont know about certification, but I think it would help to know what country you are in.

Tnx for the info.
i am from Israel

Zeuk in Oz
12-15-2005, 03:13 PM
I think I need a certification from BMW.
I think this will depend on your local laws.

I would suggest that you speak with your insurance company and your local roads/traffic body.

Here in Oz an insurance company can wipe you if your tyres do not conform to the tyre (tire) placard on your car.

Hence to do what you are suggesting, either it would already have to be on your placard or you would need to get a new one from BMW. I realise that many don't bother with this but it does leave you open to getting a claim refused.

That is here, it might be completely different in Israel.

Talk with your insurance company and authorities first !