PDA

View Full Version : doing flex disc and centre bearing tomorrow. any advice?

mattyb
12-14-2005, 11:26 PM
hey guys, bought me a flex disc and a centre bearing/mount today. flex disc bm calls artic disc?

Anyways, I have the bentley pages at the ready and father in laws garage at the ready. What are the lurking evils if any? its looks pretty straight forward to me but id like to hear of any experienced efforts.

What else might I have a look at while I'm there? thanks in advance.

shogun
12-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Best info is on Johan and Sean's E32 page. Good write up on that.
Link is on my website below.
Pre-tension of the center bearing is very important.

Jeff N.
12-15-2005, 12:17 AM
1 - good time to replace your exhaust donuts or have some spares on hand.

2 - if you undo the exhaust at the manifold, a) spray the nuts slightly with some pentrating oil and b) run the nut forward a 1/4 turn before you back it off. somewhat easy to snap off the studs.

3 - great time to rebuild you shifter linkage. did I say great time? REALLY great time. you are all the way in there. expect to have to order the parts. search the archives as some good lists have been posted.

4 - wanna shorten your shifter throw? order up a z8 shifter arm for about $55 and swap that too.

5 - the guibo is easy. the center bearing can be a trick to remove. a gear puller can be helpful to pop it off.

6 - got a 535? be sure to be careful with the rear cv joint. it will be exposed when you drop the driveline.

ok..that's I can think of for now. have fun and good luck.

Jeff

hey guys, bought me a flex disc and a centre bearing/mount today. flex disc bm calls artic disc?

Anyways, I have the bentley pages at the ready and father in laws garage at the ready. What are the lurking evils if any? its looks pretty straight forward to me but id like to hear of any experienced efforts.

mattyb
12-15-2005, 12:31 AM
thanx mate. i just had a look and hope mine goes easier than this.

wingman
12-15-2005, 12:42 AM
So Mattyb does this mean you are now starting next week???

mattyb
12-15-2005, 12:50 AM
thanks for the suggestions mate. whats meant by shorten the shifter throw?

540 is what were workin on

liquidtiger720
12-15-2005, 01:24 AM
So, how much might a used driveshaft cost?

mattyb
12-15-2005, 04:35 AM
GOOD question, ive seen so far here in oz about $700-800. new is $2500 and it still doesnt count the new flex disc or bearing.

BigKriss
12-15-2005, 06:34 AM
Jeff's talking about a manual gearbox, which you don't have.

thanks for the suggestions mate. whats meant by shorten the shifter throw?

540 is what were workin on

mattyb
12-15-2005, 06:45 AM
thanx matey. if i get a manual its gotta have a 540 attached to it!

Bellicose Right Winger
12-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Take a good look at trans mounts. If they're original they likely need to be replaced.
You might want to make up a cover to protect the CV joint while you're wrestling with DS removing center bearing. I punched 6(?) holes in a margarine container lid, slipped it over the studs and held it in place with a couple of nuts. This will keep dirt out and grease in.

Paul Shovestul

Robin-535im
12-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Wear googles. Sand in the eye really stinks!

mattyb
12-15-2005, 03:02 PM
thanks paul, did tranny mounts and engine mounts about 4 months ago, they were fkd properly. will try the lid though good idea!

Jeff N.
12-15-2005, 05:27 PM
1 - good time to replace your exhaust donuts or have some spares on hand.

2 - if you undo the exhaust at the manifold, a) spray the nuts slightly with some pentrating oil and b) run the nut forward a 1/4 turn before you back it off. somewhat easy to snap off the studs.

3 - great time to rebuild you shifter linkage. did I say great time? REALLY great time. you are all the way in there. expect to have to order the parts. search the archives as some good lists have been posted.

4 - wanna shorten your shifter throw? order up a z8 shifter arm for about $55 and swap that too.

5 - the guibo is easy. the center bearing can be a trick to remove. a gear puller can be helpful to pop it off.

6 - got a 535? be sure to be careful with the rear cv joint. it will be exposed when you drop the driveline.

ok..that's I can think of for now. have fun and good luck.

Jeff

Jr ///M5
12-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Use a paint stick or a dab of paint to index the driveshaft in relation to where it connects to the front, the center and the end. When removing and replacing the center bearing, make sure the two driveshaft halfs go back exactly as they came apart. That's why you mark, or index them. Don't forget to "pre-load" the center bearing about 1/4".

Hope this helps some....
Jr

mattyb
12-17-2005, 04:42 PM
DONE !!!!! YIPEE!!!! nothing too hard about that. Feels like new again. preloaded and marked joints as recommended with paint. No pics sorry but im sure most know what a stuffed centre bearing looks like. gear puller essential! the flex was only a bit suffed but had a new one anyway so in it went. the centre b was the cause of all that low speed noise just as winfred and lowell said it was. Rubber had split from housing. 2 hours test drive at 130k very nice indeed. wish I had done it months ago. now for front end. thanx for the help and suggestions guys. Just on the way home from my mates were we did it and was searched 3 minutes from my house. Dont know if yall know of the riots weve had but it seems that its coming here this weekend and they are not taking any chances. only advice I have for the job is hangover = bad. no hangover=good

Jr ///M5
12-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Congratulations Matty! You were the smart one to ask for advice BEFORE you started the repair.

Happy trails to you, be careful around the unrest...