PDA

View Full Version : Got my block back from redi-strip....

Scott H
12-14-2005, 06:23 PM
It's all nice and clean from rust and scale. Time to wash it up and paint it. Then bring it back to the machinist for a flex hone!

http://www.hersted.org/535iTm%20Project/Block/Block%201.JPG
http://www.hersted.org/535iTm%20Project/Block/Block%202.JPG
http://www.hersted.org/535iTm%20Project/Block/Block%203.JPG
http://www.hersted.org/535iTm%20Project/Block/Block%204.JPG

632 Regal
12-14-2005, 06:27 PM
holey $hit that thing dont crush your laundry sink???

looks like new, I know you know but make sure to overdose all orfaces with WD40

Jr ///M5
12-14-2005, 08:00 PM
That's the new hydro-powered BMW engine. Scott has finally designed an engine that runs on water! BMW Utilatub Power...=)

Looks good Scott, it will be fun to put together a nice clean engine like that. Think Jill will let you use the newly carpeted living room??? =)

BTW, have you done ANY christmas shopping?....

ha,ha,
Jr

632 Regal
12-14-2005, 08:11 PM
LMAO this is his Christmas shopping.

dacoyote
12-14-2005, 08:38 PM
LMAO this is his Christmas shopping.

I wish that was my Christmas Gift....

McWatters
12-14-2005, 09:07 PM
looks fabbbulous

Cheers

J.McWatters

Scott H
12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Jill wants a bike for xmas. Makes it easy for me! I think I know what I am going to get. Now if I can just tear myself away from the project to go get it. If it's not sitting in the living room on Dec. 25th, I'll be in big trouble!!! Why is there so much materialism surrounding this holiday?

That's the new hydro-powered BMW engine. Scott has finally designed an engine that runs on water! BMW Utilatub Power...=)

Looks good Scott, it will be fun to put together a nice clean engine like that. Think Jill will let you use the newly carpeted living room??? =)

BTW, have you done ANY christmas shopping?....

ha,ha,
Jr

mattyb
12-14-2005, 11:21 PM
yeh! youd think peoples would stop being so selfish and let u get on with spending dosh on your car and playing with it.

Bellicose Right Winger
12-15-2005, 04:45 AM
Scott,
While I've hot tanked a lot of cast iron, I'm not familair with Redi-strip. Can you explain the process? I'm suprised the machined surfaces like the head gasket, main bearing and cylinder bores are dull rather than bright. Was the block bead blasted?

Paul Shovestul

It's all nice and clean from rust and scale. Time to wash it up and paint it. Then bring it back to the machinist for a flex hone!

Bill R.
12-15-2005, 07:21 AM
glass beading which is usually a no no on interior block surfaces. Since hot tanks are no longer allowed in most places due to environmental restrictions most places use cleaners like storm vulcans instead using detergent and hot water instead of caustic soda but that also produces a similar appearance to hot tanking.

Scott,
While I've hot tanked a lot of cast iron, I'm not familair with Redi-strip. Can you explain the process? I'm suprised the machined surfaces like the head gasket, main bearing and cylinder bores are dull rather than bright. Was the block bead blasted?

Paul Shovestul

Scott H
12-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Redi-strip uses caustic soda like you mentioned, Bill, and submerges the entire block in to the liquid. Then they dip it in a bath that is electrically charged which removes all the rust. I believe this process is alkaline electrolytic immersion. They dip a lot of whole car shells to strip paint, grease, and eventually rust. I'm not entirely familiar with the chemical process that occurs. The silver/gray look in the pictures is a result of the final dipping which leaves a film on block to prevent rust from setting in instantly. That coating usually lasts for a week. I washed the block with simple green and dish soap after I took those pictures. The surface rust appeared almost instantly. After a thorough drying, I painted the exterior sides.

I will get more info on what exactly happens when the block gets dipped. This is a step that was recommended to me by some very knowledgeable people who are very hard to trump when it comes to knowledge about vehicles and engines.

I also had my aluminum intake manifold there. They dipped that as well (in a different solution that is not harmful to aluminum). The carbon build up and varnish on the inside of the intake is completely gone. The intake will now get bead blasted along with most other aluminim pieces and I will dip them in alodine to keep corrosion away as well as give the parts a clear coated look.

Regarding the machined surfaces. Since the block is going back to the machinist for a flex-hone and measurement, the cylinder surface will end up fine. The machinist will also take care of the mating surface and the bearing journals.

glass beading which is usually a no no on interior block surfaces. Since hot tanks are no longer allowed in most places due to environmental restrictions most places use cleaners like storm vulcans instead using detergent and hot water instead of caustic soda but that also produces a similar appearance to hot tanking.

Rory
12-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Jill wants a bike for xmas. Makes it easy for me! I think I know what I am going to get. Now if I can just tear myself away from the project to go get it. If it's not sitting in the living room on Dec. 25th, I'll be in big trouble!!! Why is there so much materialism surrounding this holiday?

I thought she wanted a rear parcel shelf cover for the E34 wagon? You should really get her what she wants, not some stupid bike that will collect dust in the garage :D