PDA

View Full Version : m20/525i injector replacing tips/help

nariusb
12-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm loosing residual fuel pressure on my 1989 525i. I did the BMW check valve fix, triple checked the lines, changed the filter, FPR and still leaking. So it must be my injectors leaking in to cylinders. That would explain occasional troubles starting because of the engine flooding.

Do you guys have any tips on replacing all six of them? I understand I don't have to remove the intake manifold and they should come out with the fuel rail in one piece.

Please, if you've done this before, help me and the community out. Thanks

632 Regal
12-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Do you guys have any tips on replacing all six of them? I understand I don't have to remove the intake manifold and they should come out with the fuel rail in one piece.

the rail comes off the top of the injectors, theres some cheesy plastic clips that hold them to the rail...I broke all mine. The injectors pull out of the intake and have rubber O rings, you need to lube the new ones with gear lube or equivilent and push them down until seated. Make sure you get all the dirt and stuff out of that area before you do this project.

Good price on injectors here.
http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsBMW.asp

nariusb
12-14-2005, 09:26 AM

the rail comes off the top of the injectors, theres some cheesy plastic clips that hold them to the rail...I broke all mine. The injectors pull out of the intake and have rubber O rings, you need to lube the new ones with gear lube or equivilent and push them down until seated. Make sure you get all the dirt and stuff out of that area before you do this project.

Good price on injectors here.
http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsBMW.asp
Thanks Regal,
Thats exactly where I'm getting mine from. So the injectors are removed one by one, right? How hard is it to pull them out - by hand or shoul I use some force with the tool?

shogun
12-14-2005, 10:03 AM
On my 750 I used a thick wood board pushed the whole rail out with all injectors attached still. Do not know if that also works on your car.
Did not remove those clips which hold the injectors on the rail.
Then just removed the clips and pulled the injectors out by hand. How hard it is, depends probably on the age of the O-rings. You have to pull really hard.
I just replaced the O-rings on both ends, as the pintle caps were still fine.
If you want to try it a cheaper way, you can order a set repair from this company. If you tell them the exact spec, they might offer you the parts and even can make a cleaning and spray pattern test.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-injector-parts-pintle-caps-o-rings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQitemZ80221 28035
On the other hand the new ones from that source above are also quite cheap. But I have 48 injectors from my parts cars in total and can select the best ones. I will try if it works. If not, I have to start again disassembling the V12 ;-)