PDA

View Full Version : I can't turn my key to start the car. EMERGENCY

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-14-2005, 12:07 AM
I sent my daughter out to staqrt the car this morn and she couldn't do it. So I tried, and the darn key won't turn. The ignition is locked, just like when you some times have to turn the steering wheel a tad to take the pressure off the locking mechanism to then be able to turn the key in the ignition. But the wheel just stays locked, and the key in the ignition does not turn.

So what do I do. I try to take the steering wheel off to see if I can see if there's any issues down there. I remove the center nut, and the wheel won't come off. wtf, it's got to be some sort of security mechanism that's whacked out. Anyone have any ideas? Please help, my car is out of commision. I'm going to searrch the archives now.

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Oh, I do have an after market steering wheel. But I've had it for well over a year now. This is the first time I've had this kinda problem at all.

Omega
12-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Ah, this old chestnut! Do a search of this forum, you are not alone!!

All I can recommend is keep trying to turn the key whilst "waggling" the steering wheel, this should release the lock. The steering lock works by dropping a bar into the teeth on the back of the stock steering wheel so if you cant release the steering lock you can't get the wheel off (without causing major damage)

If you manage to turn the ignition lock, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, get a strong paper clip and turn the barel approx 60 degrees and put the clip into the small hole in the ignition barel to release the barrel from the steering column.

You will need to get a new barrel as once it starts sticking it's knackered and although it can be greased, it will still stick.

I found that once the barrel is removed my steering lock did not activate. I started the car with a screwdriver for a few days until the new lock barrel arrived from the $tealer. Obviously I DO NOT recommend driving the car like this, but it worked for me.

Have "fun". I hope this helps you.

shogun
12-14-2005, 02:46 AM
which goes into the teeth at the back of the steering wheel.
That must go up. Otherwise you cannot remove or attach the steering wheel. Forget about the red color marks, that refers to other things.
If you can turn the ignition key a bit, then go to my website and there is a link to Jon Evans (evansweb), he has a good info about removing the lock.
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/center_vents/driver_side_frame.jpg

Bill R.
12-14-2005, 05:54 AM
wheel on even after you've taken the nut off.. to release the latch you have to turn the key... kind of a catch 22. Just keep working the wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key. eventually you'll get it to move and then you can follow the other posters recommendations to remove the tumbler mechanismhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Ignition.jpg

ONce you get the key to turn you'll have to get or fabricate the wire tool to remove the tumbler , it have an angle bent on it like so..http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/ignition%20tool.jpg

I sent my daughter out to staqrt the car this morn and she couldn't do it. So I tried, and the darn key won't turn. The ignition is locked, just like when you some times have to turn the steering wheel a tad to take the pressure off the locking mechanism to then be able to turn the key in the ignition. But the wheel just stays locked, and the key in the ignition does not turn.

So what do I do. I try to take the steering wheel off to see if I can see if there's any issues down there. I remove the center nut, and the wheel won't come off. wtf, it's got to be some sort of security mechanism that's whacked out. Anyone have any ideas? Please help, my car is out of commision. I'm going to searrch the archives now.

Gene in NC
12-14-2005, 06:18 AM
Freed up my '89 with LockEase Graphited Lock Fluid. NAPA product which is graphite in an aerosol solvent. Spray generously and wiggle. Also plunge key in and out.

Was assured by experienced tech that only replacement of switch would solve. Now 3 years fixed and working.

Tiger
12-14-2005, 06:21 AM
That tool is like a big paper clip sized... with a giant handle.

Tiger
12-14-2005, 06:23 AM
I suggest you use hair blower and warm up the lock and steering lock area. If you don't have graphite now... try WD-40 or lock de-icer when warmed up and wiggle wiggle wiggle.

winfred
12-14-2005, 06:59 AM
i use a .050 allen wrench to remove the lock cylinder, it's probably one of two things ether the lock cylinder has screwed up or the steering lock itself has crapped, neither are easy if you can't turn the key and usually result in some breaking to get the old part out to fix, i've done it in the bosses driveway to a 90 525 with limited tools to get a car back to the shop to fix it when it was stranded with a busted steering lock, basicly stole the car

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going back out to tackle it again this morn. I tried briefly, to no avail earlier. I had to drive my daughter and her friend to school this morn in wifeys Z3. Funny trying to jam two people in one seat, not!

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens. As always, you guys are the best.

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-14-2005, 09:05 AM
wiggled, sprayed, heated, till I'm blue in the face, f'n key just will not turn.

I'm at the point where I want to break something. Winfred, or anyone else, what do I break first? The Plastic Shroud around the tumbler, then what. Maybe jam a screwdriver in the tumbler and turn it with pliers like I see on TV! I just don't know how to proceed next now that I can't wiggle or lube my way out of this! I even lifted the front of the car to shake the front tires back and forth to try to move the steering linkage from the other end in an effort to free up the steering lock mechanism and be able to turn the key. poor old SOL Ed

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-14-2005, 09:21 AM
GOT IT! I'll show pics, I'm removing tumbler now..... TG

632 Regal
12-14-2005, 09:26 AM
sweet!

how did I miss this thread anyhow?

Phatty5BMW
12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
LoL Ed you crack me up man. Good thing this didn't happen at the brewery? :D

Omega
12-14-2005, 10:28 AM
See, just like I said. Wiggle the steering wheel...

Wiggle, and add patience,
then add beer and more patience,
and then add even more patience, beer and patience,
not forgetting an extensive list of expletives, patience, beer and patience,
Oh f:Dk it. Wheres the hammer? Time to get brutal :p

Glad you've got it sorted.

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Now I can't get the tumbler out. Nothing is easy for me! I've played with all positions, the battery is disconnected. I'm using a small allen wrench that fits inside the hole, which seems much stiffer than the paper clip pictured in my pic below. Still can't get the darn thing out! I'll keep trying.....

http://www.bimmer.info/ed/lock.JPG

where's my hammer!

632 Regal
12-14-2005, 10:52 AM
the allen has to be at a certain angle to get to the right spot, There was a really good thread on this last year but I havent found it yet...too many results.

Bill R.
12-14-2005, 10:53 AM
tumbler mechanism, thats why the special tool has that bend in it... Here's a pic from Jon's page that shows approximately the angle you have to push at http://evansweb.info/files/_images_articles_20030119001513995_2.jpg

Here's another pic from Jon's pagehttp://evansweb.info/files/_images_articles_20030119001513995_3.jpg

Now I can't get the tumbler out. Nothing is easy for me! I've played with all positions, the battery is disconnected. I'm using a small allen wrench that fits inside the hole, which seems much stiffer than the paper clip pictured in my pic below. Still can't get the darn thing out! I'll keep trying.....

http://www.bimmer.info/ed/lock.JPG

where's my hammer!

winfred
12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
it needs to be very stiff and if not pointed atleast rounded, the little piece that you are trying to move with the pin/clip is spring loaded and ramp shaped on the inside, i use a allen so i have something to turn it a little while pushing in to help it along and encourage the ramp to slide

Dash01
12-14-2005, 12:17 PM
On my '90 535i, a heavy duty paperclip worked alot better than allen wrench, esp, if the paperclip is bent ~20 degrees about 1/4" from the tip, with the bend facing away from the centerline of the ig. lock and inserting to ~1" depth.

You have to be able to turn the key ~60 degrees for the internal holes to line up for proper insertion of the paperclip. That's the only way to get the ig. lock out of the steering lock housing.

PM me your email address, and I'll send you some pics of what the innards look like.

IF your car is like mine, the problem really lies inside the steering lock barrell, where a small retainer pin broke and jammed the works. Remove that, and all is well. Leave it in there, and it lurks to jam another day. In my case, the problem was not the ig. lock, but rather the jammed steering lock.

MAtzeXX
12-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Don't cry I know a man who helps you!!!

Bimmer Nut Ed
12-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Ed@aozone.com

Thanks for your help. I've tried and tried. I've still not been able to remove it. I've even bent my allen wrench, tried HD Paperclips. I'm not sure I've the right 60 degree angle.

anyway, you need to tell my your email addy so I can add you to my friends list. I get a ton of spam

On my '90 535i, a heavy duty paperclip worked alot better than allen wrench, esp, if the paperclip is bent ~20 degrees about 1/4" from the tip, with the bend facing away from the centerline of the ig. lock and inserting to ~1" depth.

You have to be able to turn the key ~60 degrees for the internal holes to line up for proper insertion of the paperclip. That's the only way to get the ig. lock out of the steering lock housing.

PM me your email address, and I'll send you some pics of what the innards look like.

IF your car is like mine, the problem really lies inside the steering lock barrell, where a small retainer pin broke and jammed the works. Remove that, and all is well. Leave it in there, and it lurks to jam another day. In my case, the problem was not the ig. lock, but rather the jammed steering lock.

winfred
12-14-2005, 07:16 PM
i just go straight in while twisting the allen and jiggling the lock and that gets him, it's worked for almost 10 years for me, theres a little / inside that you are comming at from the bottom as you look at it here
<-
__/__
.. |
.. |
.. |
.. |
.. |__

the little angle deal that you are hitting with the allen draws back the bolt that's locking the cylinder inplace

Luftpost
12-14-2005, 07:24 PM
I just did mine the other day. The correct position is 60 degrees. The allen wrench goes in only about 10 mm. Push on that little bastard FIRMLY, it will then slip in further, and pull on the cylinder with the key. If you are at 65 degree, the allen wrench slips in with very little resistance, about 20 degrees, which will do you no good.

Bottom line, 60 degrees, and push on it!!!!

L

Luftpost
12-14-2005, 07:28 PM
While we are on the subject, anyone have a source for one of these little devils?? This is the steering lock cam on a 1995 525i. I need one BAD!!

http://webpages.charter.net/saschaott/Steering%20Cam%20Lock%20Smaller.JPG

dacoyote
12-14-2005, 07:54 PM
While we are on the subject, anyone have a source for one of these little devils?? This is the steering lock cam on a 1995 525i. I need one BAD!!

http://webpages.charter.net/saschaott/Steering%20Cam%20Lock%20Smaller.JPG

I should... I can look in a couple weekends when I get out to the car (and car parts)

winfred
12-14-2005, 08:32 PM
the one in a e36 is even shittyer that that one

dacoyote
12-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Yeah... I think mine is still in the car.... I am a cheap bastard and refuse to spend money to get the key working again...

push button start is cool looking anyway....

632 Regal
12-14-2005, 08:34 PM
it needs to be very stiff .

dacoyote
12-14-2005, 08:36 PM

Flash backs of pictures... and chickens.... nothing a little lead will not fix....

winfred
12-14-2005, 08:46 PM
i've been waiting all day

RobK
05-19-2006, 07:43 PM
I found this thread while searching the archives. Did you ever get it out? I've been trying for a week and can't get mine to budge. I've tried it all - WD40, heat, beatings. It won't turn. I'm pretty sure I'll be drilling it out this weekend. Does anyone have an alternative method for breaking this puppy loose? How deep into the column is the lock mechanism. Can I cut some access into the bottom of the column to pull out the lock enough to break the tension and allow the cylinder to turn? I'm a lot less concerned about having the wheel lock than I am destroying my cylinder!

Rob K.

Too many BMWs.

RobK
05-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Man, I've been off the boards too long! It looks like I found all of the former Roadfly action. It's pretty dead over there these days. Anyway, bump for some love...I've got to get this damn column unlocked!!!

CharlesAFerg
05-20-2006, 09:14 AM

I've had that same problem! Took me a week to figure it out... lol Without the boards of course.

Oh, how old is your daughter? My age I hope. ;-)

RobK
05-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Got it! One more WHACK on the column shaft and one on the cylinder finally did it!

Rob K.

Can't get enough BMWs

TheEndIsNear
05-20-2006, 07:58 PM
WTF, I read this thread, drive 45min to my friends house to pick her fine a** up... Then we go out to my 525i, put the key in the ignition and she starts to turn a little(almost to the first position) then freezes... I'm like sh*t... Pounding on the steering wheel for like 5 min and forcing the key got it started... It seems that the interlock keeping the key from turning only engages after you take the key out, so I'm just leaving the key it(towel over the steering column and code activated) till I go get a new one from the dealer on Monday.

TheEndIsNear
05-20-2006, 07:58 PM
And damn shes way to fine to have car trouble...