PDA

View Full Version : Wood Trim reconditioning

ScottyWM
12-13-2005, 10:25 AM
I know I've seen some info on this, but can't find it. A couple pieces of my wood door trim have cracks in them. I've been told the cracks are only in the poly coating, not the wood, and can be repaired. Anyone got a procedure on how to do this? I'm pretty sure I could handle it...

Since I need to reglue the door inserts down, and need to have some projects for this winter, I thought I'd just take off the door panels and refinish the wood trim and inserts. The door wood has lightened considerably too, so it'd be nice to get that nice dark warm glow back into them.

Jay 535i
12-13-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm no expert, but I would think it would be as easy as sanding, staining and varnishing, just like any other piece of wood.

willobmw
12-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Good luck. The plastic has to be removed slowly from the cracking portion outward with a razor or the like. After you've done all the work, you'll compare it to other wood and see it doesn't match. Been there done that. I ended getting
and new wood console from BMA.
Willobmw

rps1072
12-14-2005, 08:43 AM
I refinished my wood shifter console cover with very light sanding--300 grit or finer. Then I used the spay can version of Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane (http://www.minwax.com/products/protective/fast-poly-direct.cfm) gloss. I used many very light coats with fine sanding in between coats and let it dry for about a week before I put it back int he car. It made the car smell like a woodshop, but gave it a nice, scratch-resistant finish.

willobmw
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM
So did I. It still didn't match.