PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Non BMW engine in a BMW

Jon K
12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
This was started on another forum. The guy did an E30 M3 with an LS1. Then a guy posts with a "perfectly balanced" RX7 with an LS1. The RX7 locks the front brakes in every turn on a autox course and the nose points to the sky whenever he floors it. Regardless - what are your thoughts about a non BMW engine in a BMW?

Discuss.

mattyb
12-12-2005, 10:28 PM
my dad has a spare engine in his garage and your thread has raised a point thats been in my mind for some time. I was thinking to get great car with clapped out motor in it and try a conversion. Not that i am into heresy but it would still be a mover. We have a very worked 351 cleveland with about 480hp and all the good bits to match. This I considered would be an unrefined but respectable relacement power plant. Im not going to spend $6k for a rebuilt m60. In oz thats what it would cost. u guys pay that for a whole car in good condition. The question is that would it fit nicely with its 2x 3inch pipes out the back. I would still keep the old girl pure though.

Jon K
12-12-2005, 10:37 PM
my dad has a spare engine in his garage and your thread has raised a point thats been in my mind for some time. I was thinking to get great car with clapped out motor in it and try a conversion. Not that i am into heresy but it would still be a mover. We have a very worked 351 cleveland with about 480hp and all the good bits to match. This I considered would be an unrefined but respectable relacement power plant. Im not going to spend $6k for a rebuilt m60. In oz thats what it would cost. u guys pay that for a whole car in good condition. The question is that would it fit nicely with its 2x 3inch pipes out the back. I would still keep the old girl pure though.
We have a 350 bored over laying in a '49 truck, but that doesn't mean I'd put it in a BMW.

shogun
12-12-2005, 10:41 PM
This 1989 750 Super Stretch limo in AUS has now a Ford 302W engine installed, when it was rebuilt about 5 years ago
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedCarID=1232857&TabID=3328&Alias=carpointau

It is not an increase in performance, but who drives fast with a stretch limo, they 'glide'.

mattyb
12-12-2005, 10:47 PM
what i meant was i wouldnt go out of my way to do it and I would nt do it to the 540 i have now, but if i can find a cheap enough good example e34 with the motor stuffed i would consider it. We have been thinking for long time as to what to get. There was a 67 mustang split rear we just missed recently na dweve been toying with the idea just to get a f150 and drop it into that cause we need a nother truck. But the 351 was especially built for performance and if an e34 came at the right price minus the donk well it could be something to play with over the next couple of years.

632 Regal
12-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I have an engine, its fairly "large" in more ways then one...I'm all for it!
cept that part of piping holes in the hood for breathability, without could cause a loss of over 200hp.

632 Regal
12-12-2005, 11:02 PM
uhhh wheres the poll?

Kalevera
12-12-2005, 11:10 PM
I seriously considered dropping an LS1 and a Tremec T56 in my 535 due to proximity, and the fact that it was just stupidly cheap...

...but who the hell wants an LS1? Sounds wrong, too.

So, my vote is no.

The closest thing we have to "sacrilege" is an MR2 with basketweaves and roundels on it...

best, whit

Springfield1952
12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Seems to me I've either seen or read about an e34 with a Toyota Supra Turbo engine in it. Since the Supra is an inline 6 the fit looks normal. Dual overhead cams, factory turbo setup, very strong bottom end, inexpensive (vs BMW) parts - it would be tempting!

My son has a '91 Supra Turbo and he has dynoed 330HP at the rear wheels without any real serious mods. In a straight drag race it would run my M5 into the ground.

Curt.

Paul in NZ
12-13-2005, 01:52 AM
In a straight drag race it would run my M5 into the ground.

what about with four passengers?

E34-520iSE
12-13-2005, 03:01 AM
I'd put a BMW engine in another car no problem, but wouldn't dream of putting a different brand in a BMW. That would be like taking the engine out of a Harley D and putting a lawnmower engine in. Just my opinion!

Good question though!

Shaun

mattyb
12-13-2005, 03:20 AM
gayle?

Beez540
12-13-2005, 03:37 AM
It sounds asinine to me. Let's say I had an LS1 or a nicely built sweet small block 350. I'd rather look around for someone else's failed project to drop those in. Like a datsun 240z or 280z chassis... etc.

It seems to me that with such fine motors as bmw has produced you'd be taking a drastic step down more often than not.

Now, if you're building a car strictly for drag or what not, I suppose anything goes as per your race class.

laguner
12-13-2005, 04:28 PM
WHY? The BMW engines are great. If the engines sucked like a Jaguar, it might be worth it but....?????