PDA

View Full Version : Vibration Location (can't isolate) 525ia M50TU

RobPatt
12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
-Seems to be at front of motor but can feel/hear in cabin.
-Low to med varying "rumble"...
-Recognizable at idle.
-Very recognizable w/brake pedal depressed.
-A/C & engine temp independent.
-Before & after new belts.
-No engine work done.
-Gradually (over last 3 years) growing worse - was hoping it'd just get obvious and I'd fix it then, but taking too long to get that condition...! :-)
-Pulled belts checked all pulleys "seem" secure-don't wiggle w/just your hand.

-How can I isolate further? Anyone already tracked down similiar?
-Could be any pulley or the tensioner, but I can't see how pressing the brake pedal makes it worse - unless maybe puts more load/strain on engine, so vibration increases....

TIA, Rob.

Kalevera
12-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Rob, is it a vibration in the CAR or in the engine?

My impression is that it is in the car: what do the tranny and engine mounts look like? Kinda makes sense that a mount would be bad: holding the brake pedal down would anchor some of the movement in the drivetrain at the rear, accentuating anything going on up front.

best, whit

RobPatt
12-13-2005, 07:56 PM
..but can be felt & heard in the car. Forgot to mention that I've replaced all engine/tranny mounts except for the very rear pair of tranny mounts..

thanks for the response Whit.

will maybe check prices on tensioner, I really need to think this one through though.... worst fear is go on a road trip and really expond the problem and tear soemthing up.

Rob, is it a vibration in the CAR or in the engine?

My impression is that it is in the car: what do the tranny and engine mounts look like? Kinda makes sense that a mount would be bad: holding the brake pedal down would anchor some of the movement in the drivetrain at the rear, accentuating anything going on up front.

best, whit

GAM
12-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Maybe they weren't tightened properly or one of them has become loose.

..but can be felt & heard in the car. Forgot to mention that I've replaced all engine/tranny mounts except for the very rear pair of tranny mounts..

thanks for the response Whit.

will maybe check prices on tensioner, I really need to think this one through though.... worst fear is go on a road trip and really expond the problem and tear soemthing up.