PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for project E34

ProjectE34
12-12-2005, 06:11 PM
I have decided to build a Forced induction E34 as my main project car. I have built a silvia and have done many upgrades with my 850 turbo wagon. My race car will be an SR20DET powered Datsun 510. For the street I need a large heavy 4 door with sick amounts of power!!!

After owning several turbo cars, I wanna stick with forced induction.

I need advice on whether I should turbocharge the 3.5L in the 535, supercharge the 540 V8, or turbocharge a late 90's M3 motor

My ideal combo would be to turbo charge a late 90's M3 motor and use that. As I think it would be huge amounts of power, and very clean looking under the hood. I hate the manifold on the early 90's 535. Do the later 3.5L's have a nicer manifold and valve cover?

Any insight would be appreciated.
I saw the twin charged turbo/supercharged 4 door M3 on Swedespeed. That would be a sick combo in the E34.

Phatty5BMW
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
I belive all the manifolds on the 3.5 are the same, don't quote me though. I plan on doing a manual conversion here this spring and hopefully next year be runnin 15 psi intercooled. I love the m30 and can't wait to do the swap/turbo!!!

Incantation
12-12-2005, 07:08 PM
depends.. the 6 and 8 are designed for the car and are already in it.. would be easier than to swap in the m3 engine.. having said that turbo'ing an m3 engine is by far the most popular option and you would be more easily able to find a lot of info/parts online if you needed em.

there are some forced induction e34s around, but none of them are really putting down any real numbers (outside of that guy running 8's with the m5 motor). and depending on how much work you want to put in, i'm betting the m3 motor would have the best/most reliable bottom end

ProjectE34
12-12-2005, 07:25 PM
depends.. the 6 and 8 are designed for the car and are already in it.. would be easier than to swap in the m3 engine.. having said that turbo'ing an m3 engine is by far the most popular option and you would be more easily able to find a lot of info/parts online if you needed em.

there are some forced induction e34s around, but none of them are really putting down any real numbers (outside of that guy running 8's with the m5 motor). and depending on how much work you want to put in, i'm betting the m3 motor would have the best/most reliable bottom end
<p>
Thanks. I do believe that the turbo M3 motor would be the way to go as well. I don't need it to run 8's. I want this car to be street driven, but I also like to get a little carried away so I want at least 480 RWHP!!! The I-6 would be a better weight split. It would be nice to be able to drift it. I plan on spending a lot of time and money. I spent $15k on the silvia not including the car doing all the work with just my friend and I, including paint.

How do you like your E34? What other mods? I prefer a bit heavier car as opposed to the 3 series. I enjoy driving on back roads with lots of twists and elevations. The extra weight helps keep from flying off the road at high speeds.

I'm thinking Tein for the suspension and definately some big brakes as well as a 6 spd.

I also do my own paint work, so I would like to look into retrofitting the 99-00 7 series front end. I love the headlights on the 7 and the cars are very similar. I know it would take some body work and fabrication, but it would be sick!!!

kyleN20
12-12-2005, 07:34 PM
as a 535 man myself, id say go m30, you can do it cheaply, and get awsome amounts of power, not to mention that the m30 is an engine that will last forever, and thus take a decent amount of power on stock internals. tcd makes a manifold for the m30, iv seen a twin turbo manifold also, and if you want to find one cheap, you can get a 745i turbo manifold manifold from the late 80's, its a log manifold flanged for a kkk turbo, but can be modified. lastly, you can have a tubular manifold made at a good exhaust shop for not too expensive. id say gto m30

Kalevera
12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
hey jeff, when are you coming down here again?

632 Regal
12-12-2005, 09:25 PM
I was thinking this weekend, we can get some santa presents ready and also tip the fine waitresses at the mall pub, anything special in mind?
hey jeff, when are you coming down here again?

Kalevera
12-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Remind me again what we're doing on the Bidolimobile?

I remember thrust arms and maybe shocks/springs? Or am I way off?

I've, literally, been living at the shop for the past month and a half (long story...poor me, huh). Fritz still doesn't have the engine or 5 speed in yet, and is currently under a pile of snow (related to that long story), supposed to pull the head currently on my car by the end of the week so I can get an E32 back together. Whatever, I'll get to it in due time. Taking time off at the end of the month, during which I probably won't want to go out there, so it looks like early January...as we discussed way back when.

that is, unless it's something quick and easy that we can dispatch of in a few hours on a sunday.

So what're we doing on that thing, anyway?

Jon K
12-12-2005, 10:24 PM
I have decided to build a Forced induction E34 as my main project car. I have built a silvia and have done many upgrades with my 850 turbo wagon. My race car will be an SR20DET powered Datsun 510. For the street I need a large heavy 4 door with sick amounts of power!!!

After owning several turbo cars, I wanna stick with forced induction.

I need advice on whether I should turbocharge the 3.5L in the 535, supercharge the 540 V8, or turbocharge a late 90's M3 motor

My ideal combo would be to turbo charge a late 90's M3 motor and use that. As I think it would be huge amounts of power, and very clean looking under the hood. I hate the manifold on the early 90's 535. Do the later 3.5L's have a nicer manifold and valve cover?

Any insight would be appreciated.
I saw the twin charged turbo/supercharged 4 door M3 on Swedespeed. That would be a sick combo in the E34.
So um you wander over here owning a twin turbo'd 850 (wagon, wtf?)... edit, oh, volvo...

Sounds fishy.

Welcome, i think.

Edit: Ok i reasd more, you want 480rwhp from an S50/52 turbo, you want a 6 speed, and you want an E38 front end on a E34 because they're similar? There's nothing similar about an E38 front and an E34 except the roundel. All you'd need is a new hood, new fenders, new bumpers, new headlights, lower facia, radiator, grills, and probably an entire front clip. IF that's similar, I guess its about as similar as an Envoy too.

Incantation
12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
^ dude.. the e38 front end would be awesome. i got some crappy headlight covers hoping that they would make the e34 look similar.. but they are junk ( airplex ).. i would probably follow you on that mod despite the fact i am giving the car to my sis pretty soon.

performance-wise i haven't done much.. i looked into it a lot but i just found it didn't make a lot of sense to put in the time/money to get the performance increase i wanted. it's just lame because all the shops i talked to around here weren't excited at the prospect of me basically handing them a blank cheque to do the work.. instead they told me why it wasn't a sensible decison and/or tried to sell me a more powerful bmw (540, etc).long story short i bought a bike.. lol

i did chip it, changed the suspension, wheels/tires (if you can call that a mod) and it handles very, very well, and the motor pulls very nicely however these days i drive like a grandma and just chill out.. i can't say that i wouldn't LOVE 450rwhp.. god that would be awesome. i suppose i am not interested in pioneering it.. if there were some cost/labour/parts template i would give it much more serious thought.

cosmetically i have done a lot.. everything is pretty straightforward but if you want any tips on how to do something, feel free to ask. and i look forward to watching your progress.. hope you have lots of photos to post

632 Regal
12-12-2005, 10:58 PM
mail me bro, your unreachable as of late.

Remind me again what we're doing on the Bidolimobile?

I remember thrust arms and maybe shocks/springs? Or am I way off?

I've, literally, been living at the shop for the past month and a half (long story...poor me, huh). Fritz still doesn't have the engine or 5 speed in yet, and is currently under a pile of snow (related to that long story), supposed to pull the head currently on my car by the end of the week so I can get an E32 back together. Whatever, I'll get to it in due time. Taking time off at the end of the month, during which I probably won't want to go out there, so it looks like early January...as we discussed way back when.

that is, unless it's something quick and easy that we can dispatch of in a few hours on a sunday.

So what're we doing on that thing, anyway?

Jon K
12-12-2005, 11:01 PM
E38 front end will basically not work... there are about 20 reasons why.

Kalevera
12-12-2005, 11:13 PM
E38 front end will basically not work... there are about 20 reasons why.
:)

I like where this is going, Jon

How many feet of snow on your car these days, anyway?

Jon K
12-12-2005, 11:48 PM
:)

I like where this is going, Jon

How many feet of snow on your car these days, anyway?

Just a couple inches, its cleared off mostly. I haven't moved it yet. Its really not that fun to drive in the cold. The cold air works great for the blower but the tires are way too hard. I will have it on the turnpike on saturday, then she goes under the knife for the standalone. My girlfriend thinks im crazy "You just finished it!" "No, i just started!"

kyleN20
12-13-2005, 11:41 AM
gross, snow, i have about 8 inches outsided, good thing right before it came i washed and cleaned mine and stuck it in the gurage. luckly i just got done on a e46 doing front suspension rebuild, and they dont need it back, and they have a nice set of blizzaks,

as for the e34 project, expectations seem unrealistic, for a street car at least. although some of the things yo mention are just simply contradicting, you want a street car, and you want 480 whp, thats no street car i ever heard of, EVER really. 480whp is nutz, and would need alot of work/money and would basically be a track car in my opinion. e38 front end sounds far fetched as well. save yourself some trouble, get a clean 535im, turbo it nicely, get a good 300-350 whp and see how you like it.